chapter one

The constant buzzing was what woke me up that fall morning. There was a small weight on my stomach and if I guessed correctly (which I did) it was just Troy, my puppy. Groaning, I sat up, moving the hair out of my face, I grabbed my cell phone and slid the screen in order to stop the annoying, rhythmic buzz.

For no apparent reason, I coughed and, then I stroked Troy a few times as I went through my notifications. All of the sudden, my eyes had darted to the time. 9:13 AM.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

I was running thirty minutes late. By now, I should be going up the stairs to the building. Granted, my shift didn't begin until 9:45, but I was always there early. This was mainly because I had nothing else to do with my life.

I don't have roommates, or any friends outside of work (though I would never admit it) , and even these people are limited to a few pairs that can tolerate me. Also, I'm not into any hobbies other than working out, and I consider that a part of my routine, not a pass-time. Some may call me a loner and frankly, I would agree.

These facts were not my main concerns at the moment. All I was worried about was getting that damn coffee and to the office before 9:45. Rushing to the shower and almost slipping on the way, I pried my pajamas off and stepped into the cold shower.

Wincing and groaning, I washed my body quickly, making sure not to get my hair wet. I scrubbed my body quickly, keeping track of the time. Only five minutes had passed.

I jumped out of the shower and dried myself off. Then, quickly, I grabbed a pencil skirt and a tight, sleeveless crop top. Snatching my stilettos, I rushed out, yelling good bye to my dog. My purse was in my hand and as I trotted down the halls -shoeless, may I add- I searched for my sunglasses and slipped them on.

Luckily, I was able to slip on my shoes before stepping out onto the street. I did this and fixed my hair in the elevator ride down. As soon as I was out in the city, I began to speed walk past people who seemed to be in the same situation as me.

I found the coffee shop and barged in, skipping basically everyone in line. Luckily, they already had my order ready. So with one small smile and a thank-you, I grabbed the caffeine-filled drinks and moved put onto the streets again.

I caught a cab and sat on the seats, my legs beginning to hurt. If the driver hadn't reminded me to tell him the address, then I probably would've sat there for a while. Stammering out the address, he nodded and began to drive. I checked my time. 9:42 AM.

Sighing, I sat back and the car began to move forward. Taking a sip of my coffee, I let out a breath, realizing that now, my job was riding on the traffic on the streets. Hopefully, Mr. Irwin was in a good mood today.

The ride took a little while, but I threw my phone in my bag so I no longer knew the time. I payed the man and shot out of the car.

My site of work was on the outsides of Baltimore, and it was a large corporate building. The work the I did required two facilities, corporate, and training. Of course, I had no say or part in the training facility, since my work was strictly administrative.

Rushing up the entry steps, I walked in on the cool air that hit me like a ton of bricks. I sped-walked onto the elevator that was already filled with people. As soon as I pressed the 25th floor, everyone gasped as if it was a sin to work up there.

The rest of the ride was filled with whispering behind my back and employees shamefully walking out onto the lower floors as if it was something bad. Usually, no one was ever allowed to go up there, nevertheless work there. It was my boss' suite-office. That's right, his office took up a whole floor.

I stepped onto the floor and dropped my bag and my own coffee onto my desk. Then, I knocked twice on the large wooden doors and opened them up.

His office never failed to amaze me. It was lined with windows, looking out into the city. There was a white desk near one of the windows, with one chair on one side and two others on the opposite side. Then, there were various sitting spots, a table for four, two couches facing each other, and lastly, sturdy, beanbag-looking, chairs in the center. However all of it was color coded, never going out of the scheme of black, white, or silver.

My boss was standing up, looking at the other person who was simply sitting down. I smiled at the fact that this man,the one who was sat down, actually tolerated me, therefore, he won't mind me interrupting.

"Excuse me, Mr. Irwin?" I smiled and neared his desk. As soon as I was close enough, I set down the coffee on his desk and stayed still on my spot.

"Layla, this is the first time in two years that you've been late," Ashton said gruffly, taking a sip from his coffee. Although he had never fired me, I don't think he really liked me.

"Ah, give her a break, Ash," Calum laughed, waving him off. This made Ashton turn his attention onto him as he spoke,"Miss Collins was probably just partying too hard, isn't that right?"

"No, Mr. Hood, I simply slept in," I scolded him and his grin only grew wider. He, unlike my boss, actually showed some compassion and never ceased to shoot me a smile every time I passed by. "and call me Layla, sir."

"I will once you call me Calum, Miss Collins." He shot right back, winking as he said so. I must say, he was sort of cute. And he always cared for me. Oh, but he would never like me.

"Are you two done or should I step out?" Ashton rudely said. Calum's smile wiped off his face as he returned onto the reality that we call work.

Ashton harshly turned to me and spoke his demands for the day,"Cancel the meeting with ABC for this afternoon, make reservations at the restaurant downtown for lunch, and call to confirm the Fashion show the 8th."

"May I ask why you're canceling the interview? After all, they have done tons of press and it's supposed to be aired live," I informed him, beginning to walk towards the door. Ashton just sighed loudly and moved to the same side of the desk that Calum was in.

He rolled his eyes and leaned back on his desk, his legs stretching out in front of him, and his ankles crossing. Also his arms subconsciously crossed over his chest. "Thank you for stating the obvious, and just tell them something of extreme importance came up."

"Right away, Mr. Irwin."

-/-

WOW FIRST CHAPTER

im excited

ok so ill be updating a second chapter in a little while since this one is just getting to know the character

also sara hopkins is playing layla collins ill add a pic on the second chapter (follow her on ig: sayhop)

ily all

please spread the news on this book

k byee

gossip girl