Chapter Three : Dream Sequence

MABEL'S POV

     "What a boring day," Dipper mumbled, holding himself up with his elbows on the shore. His eyes were tired and bored, upset at being kept under all day.

     "I'm sorry, I just don't wanna risk you getting taken, and as we saw, I'm not good enough with my magic to save you." He didn't respond. He continued staring up at the stars. A sad smile took form on his face. He sighed and laid back, floating with his arms behind his head as he continued gazing at the stars.

    "When I was in the 3rd grade, I thought that I was gay 'cause I could draw, my uncle was, and I kept my room - straight. I told my mom, tears rushing down my face..." he sang, putting no magic into it. He kept going, but, whether he was doing it on purpose or not, it took on an enchantment. I didn't mean to doze off, but I hadn't been prepared for the magic, and it just sent a wave of exhaustion over me. I crashed, falling asleep while I floated beside him.

     I sat up, expecting to be on my bed. I most definitely was not. The fin of my tail was resting in the ocean, the salty scent filling my nose. I was sitting on the beach in my dream, the waves crashing over me. I looked around.

     "Dipper?" No response.

     "Simon? Mandy? Ethan? Tyler?" Silence.

     "Pacifica?" my voice had become a whisper, my eyes full of tears. I knew what was coming. I was never alone in my dreams. But my nightmares... I was always alone in those. Thundering voices began screaming in my ears.

     "You are useless."

     "You are pathetic."

     "No one would care if you went missing."

     "Nobody would look for you."

     "You're not worthy."

     I screamed, covering my ears with my hands as I cried. I knew it was a dream, but it hurt so much. Hearing such awful things in my friends' voices made it worse. One voice was missing ; the one that hurt the most.

     "Mabel, you're holding me back," he said, his voice dripping with disgust. "And for that, I hate you."

DIPPER'S POV

     I tucked Mabel in for the night, and swam back up. I watched the moonlight bounce on the ripples as I broke the surface. Full moon tonight. Monsters will be stronger tonight. I already risked them hearing me just to put Mabel to sleep. I shouldn't sing anymore tonight.

     Yet, there I was, singing while I drew. The words echoed through the woods and I could hear creatures stirring. It was late, and I didn't care enough to be quiet, so I just kept going. I wasn't drawing anything purposefully ; I was mostly just sketching shapes on the paper. It took about ten minutes before I realized I had drawn a person. A messy undercut hairstyle, angler features, and an eye tattoo on his neck. I tried to figure out who it was, but gave up ; It wasn't any of the other sirens, nor was it any of the humans or creatures that wandered in.

     He looks handsome. No, not handsome - definitely NOT handsome. Just very, very cool... I'm too fucking tired for this. I shook my head and rolled up the drawing, tying it neatly with a yellow ribbon Tyler had given me. I drifted lazily to my bookshelf and put the paper as far back on the bottom shelf as possible before floating back up to the surface. I floated on my back as I gazed at the clear night sky. I fell asleep smiling at the moon.

     My dreams were weird. I was swimming through an ocean trench, writing notes about all the plants and animals when I felt a strange sensation run through my body. My skin prickled and a shudder went down my spine ; I felt like I was being watched. I hovered for a moment and looked around. Deciding I was just paranoid, I continued on, swimming up and west towards the stream entrance. I wasn't too deep and quickly joined the current. Speeding along in the water, letting the current take control, the feeling of being watched never left. I passed by the various tributaries that led to our friends' ponds.