Chapter Six : Moving House

MABEL'S POV

     "Hey Mae-Bae," Pacifica called from the pond entrance, "Do you wanna come do another hunt? It's just you, me, and Ethan today." I smiled and nodded.

     "That's a new nickname, isn't it Pac?"

     "What? You don't like it?" She seemed nervous as we made our way to the pond Ethan and Tyler shared. She was fidgeting with her hands and kept glancing at me. What did I do wrong?

     "No, no, nothing like that! I love it! I just... I want something special for you, cause everyone calls you "Pac" and now-" She cut me off with a gentle kiss. She pulled away and stared into my eyes, and just her expression made me feel silly for rambling. "Sorry."

     "You have to stop doing that. Not the rambling - it's adorable - but the self doubt. If you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm here." I nodded pathetically and hugged her, wishing I never had to let go of her. I don't deserve you. You're too good for me. We heard a content sigh come from our left. I turned, instinctively pulling Pacifica behind me and guarding her.
"God, you guys are so wholesome."

     "Oh, fuck you Ethan!" She yelled, swimming around me and smacking him playfully. We continued chatting as we made our way to the hunting grounds. Someone mentioned Dipper's absences.

     "Mabes, where's your brother been lately? Him and Tyler went out a few days ago looking for shinies and shit, and apparently, he was acting off." Ethan was swimming backwards and looking at me expectantly. His eyes held a glint of suspicion.

     "I don't know. He just seems more tired lately. Oh, he did mention something stressworthy. He's planning on moving soon. Sometime after our birthday."

     "Oh, that's right - it's this upcoming Friday. Nineteen, right?"

     "Yeah. Makes sense for him to move out. He promised to show me before he leaves though, so I'm not too worried. No idea what else might be wrong." We stopped and moved on to other topics, like food and strategies. I'm so dismissive of him. My own fucking brother. I shook my head slightly. We eventually made our way to the hunting grounds - a large alcove with a variety of fish and sea plants - and hunted enough for a feast. We stuffed all of the food into a cloth sack and began heading back, happy with our haul.

     "God, I can't fucking wait for tonight ; This fucking meal is gonna be fucking awesome!"'

     "Ethan, chill out! We all cuss but jeez." We both laughed at "Mom-cifica." We slowed as we approached the community area.

     "Dipper?" He froze, slowly peeking over his shoulder before darting over to us.

     "Hi. Sorry. You startled me." He rubbed the nape of his neck and gave a nervous chuckle ; his eyes kept darting around like he was worried about an attack. I looked over him, searching for any signs of something wrong. He was wearing an oversized sweater I didn't make for him - a big grayish-blue one. He had a necklace on - again, not of my make - and was holding his sleeves over his hands. How long has he had these?

     "No worries. We've missed you, dude. You've been so... distracted lately. Is it about you moving house?"

     "What? How do you know about that? No, wait. Never mind. Mabel." He seemed distracted still, even now. "Yeah. I'm all set to leave once we've aged."

     "Dip-dop, where'd you get that sweater?"

     "Oh. I umm... A hunter gave it to me. Thought I was a lost kid, cause I hid my tail." Lies.