Chapter Five : Gradually

(A/N : I'm adding this note while I write Chapter Eight. I'm lonely. And I came out to my cousin. I consciously know she'll accept me but that doesn't stop the worry. Sorry to dump this here, but I need to vent, and even if nobody sees this, I find some comfort in it being out in the universe. I'll leave you alone now. Sorry again.)

MABEL'S POV

     "What a bummer," Pacifica said as we made our way back to the community pond. "Nothing new." I felt an intense urge to hold her hand as we joined the current, and against my better judgement, I did. She gripped my hand and intertwined our fingers. Her face was so red, it looked like Simon's tail.

     "Yeah. Such a - a bummer." I stuttered pathetically. Fricking stupid.

     "Mabel... can I talk to you? Alone?"

     "Of course. Hey, Tyler?" He stopped and turned. "We'll catch up. We're gonna talk." He nodded, the smallest of knowing smiles played on his lips as he turned around and caught up to Ethan. Thanks. Now I'm even more nervous. We pulled off to the side, slipping out of the current. My face was burning up at the thought of what she might want to talk about.

     "Mabel, I-"

     "Pac, let me explain myself. Please. I like you. A lot. And I - I didn't know how you felt, so I just went for it, and I'm sorry and please don't be mad at me." No way she likes you. You're pathetic. I felt slender arms wrap around my stomach and pull me close. She was shaking like a leaf and had a grateful smile on her face once she looked up at me. She wiped the tears off my face and continued hugging me.

     "Mabes. I like you too, you sappy dumbass." I was still for a minute. The next moment, I was holding her up out of the water and smiling like an idiot. She was laughing. I was laughing. We stopped. I lowered Pacifica back into the stream and we sank down. Another rustle came from the bushes. I followed her as we slowly shifted back towards the current. A distorted voice carried through the water.

     "I know what I fucking heard Candy. There was definitely laughter." Deep and kind of disappointed.

     "I know, but we have to go. You've read siren stories, and I doubt either of us are strong-willed enough to resist." Much higher pitched and slightly stilted. "Grenda, come on. We'll come back tomorrow. I'm tired and neither of us have eaten since breakfast." A moment passed and we were almost to the current.

     "Fine. But I still wanna meet one. They're always called dangerous, but no one really knows, so maybe-" the voice was cut off as Pacifica pulled me into the current and we sped away. I thought I heard a shout as we were carried off, but I couldn't be sure. We swam back into the community area and were greeted with knowing faces. Ethan and Simon were giggling and kept glancing in our direction. Mandie came over to us and smiled.

     "I see things went well." I was confused for a moment as to why it was that obvious ; I then realized we were still holding hands. My face instantly heated up again. Pacifica gave a nervous chuckle and gripped my hand a little tighter as she nodded. Mandie chuckled and went back over to Tyler, who she had been talking with when we came back. Ethan and Simon waved us over and we complied, not letting go of each other's hands.

     "I told ya so!"

     "You haven't won yet," Simon mumbled as he turned to us. "Who confessed first?" Ethan looked confident, with his arms crossed and a mischievous glint in his eyes.

     "Why does that matter? What did you guys do?" Pac rolled her eyes, but the blush was obvious. I looked at my watch and noted the time. Dipper won't expect me back for another thirty minutes.