First Day Living in Willow Falls

Jake's POV

"How was your first day?" Mrs. Swenson asks as Rory and I walk in the front door.

"Good." I say, "I should probably start to unpack." 

"Didn't you and Rory do that yesterday? Or were you two just talking with the door closed?" Mrs. Swenson teases. 

Rory goes bright red, I just grin, "Maybe." I joke, "Or maybe not."

Rory elbows me in the arm, "We we're talking." She clarifies. Them she proceeds to push me up the stairs.

When we get to my room she closes the door and glares at me, "And what were you implying?" 

I shrug and start to unpack a box full of books. "I wasn't implying anything." I sniff, "Get your mind out of the gutter."

"I will when you do." She snaps back. She works quietly and quickly, I start to get nervous after she doesn't say anything for ten minutes.

I creep up behind her and start to tickle her neck, "Don't be mad, please." I beg.

She just laughs, "I wasn't mad, I was mildly annoyed." I roll my eyes. Only Rory says things like, 'mildly annoyed'.

After we're done unpacking Rory and I head downstairs. Sawyer is having a nap and her parents are in the kitchen. So we head to the kitchen.

When we get in the kitchen her parents stop talking  "So, Jake," Mr. Swenson starts, "I sure hope you're responsible."

"Why?" Rory asks, "I mean, I think Jake is responsible. But why?"

"Your father and I are both going to be busy tonight," Mrs. Swenson explains, "I'm taking Sawyer to a back to school party that one of his friends moms is throwing and your dad has a work emergency."

"When do you have to go?" I ask, as nonchalantly as possible.

"Ten minutes." Mrs. Swenson says, "I have to go wake up Sawyer. Meet you in the car?" 

Mr. Swenson nods, and then turns to Rory and I the moment Mrs. Swenson is out of the room. "I know that Rory is now in grade nine, that means you two can date. But that doesn't mean you can't be safe, the protec-"

Rory interrupts him, "Ewww! Dad! Aren't you supposed to meet Mom in the car? You should go, like, now." She practically pushes him out the door, Mr. Swenson talks the whole way out.

When she gets back she sighs loudly, "I'm sorry, I didn't think he would actually do that. I thought he was teasing me."

I grin amusedly at her, "Who has there mind in the gutter now?"

She shoots me a look, "How are you not embarrassed?" 

"You know I don't get embarrassed, or flustered. You get embarrassed to easily, for all you know that could have been useful information. For the future." I add quickly.

She groans, "What do you want for dinner? I can make grilled cheese, and... We'll that's it."

"Your just trying to change the subject," I tease, I grab the cheese from the fridge and she gets the bread.

"Well, I unlike you, do get embarrassed. I get embarrassed easily." Rory sniffs, I watch her make the grilled cheese for awhile.

Then I can't help but make a joke out of it, "The thought of having-"

"Jake!" Rory interrupts, "Why? Why can't you go five seconds without embarrassing me? Or making a dirty joke?"

"Well I don't know that you find the thought of me embarrassing." I say, serious now.

"I don't find you embarrassing, I find the thought of being... Well, interactive in a new way with you, embarrassing." Rory mumbles.

She slides the two grilled cheese on the plates and then sits with me at the island. "Did you really just say, 'interactive in a new way'?" I ask.

She blushes and nods, "Why, what's wrong with how I worded it?" 

"Nothing, nothing at all." I say, looking into her bright green eyes, "Nothing at all."

Fun Fact: I witnessed one of my friends have a conversation like this with her dad and boyfriend.