Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head

Set fire to broken pieces; start anew.-Lauren DeStefano, Sever

Part One

I knew I had to hit the road after my dad came home drunk that night. I threw everything in my backpack and just took off. I was tired of it all. I wasn't sure where to go but about halfway through my walk I knew where I was headed; Tulsa. I had a half brother living there, Mark Jennings. I hadn't talked to him since I was 13 but I figured he would help me out. He's always been a little out of it but it couldn't have been worse than my dads. 

When I was younger my dad and I were real close but after my mom died, most of him died too. Things just weren't the same. It wasn't that my dad was a bad guy or anything. He showed up to all my important school events and did exactly what he needed to. He did just what was expected of him in the most hollow way. He was a ghost of who he had once been. It sounds bad, but I just couldn't handle being stuck in that suffocating town anymore. I doubted he would even notice I was missing.

In terms of how parents are, I couldn't complain. Some of my friends got hit by their dads or their moms were drunks, but mine would never raise his hand to me. He would just stare right through me. He was a ghost of someone I once knew and being around him like that made me sick, it really did.

The night I took off had some decent weather, despite being in the middle of summer. Summers in Oklahoma can get mighty hot, but luckily a cool breeze accompanied me the whole way there. I was lucky enough too not not run into any trouble. I saw the buildings of Tulsa lighting up the sky so I knew I had to be getting close. It wasn't until I got to Tulsa that I realized I didn't have a clue where Mark lived. I was never much of a planner. I was just betting on running into someone that knew him. Luckily, I did just that. There was a little torn down house that had people my age flowing out of it. I figured at least one of those people were going to know Mark. He's not someone you easily forget. When I stepped inside the house I nearly got shoved into the brick wall when a girl who had more than her fair share to drink ran into me. I figured the man behind the bar was a decent enough person to question. He didn't look any older than twenty.

"Hey doll, can I get you anything?" The boy asked, giving me a greasy smile.

He made my skin crawl. I can usually get a read on people pretty fast and instantly I knew he was someone I should never be alone with.

"Nothing for me." I shook my head, "Do you know Mark Jennings?"

The boys eyes lit up when I said those words, "You're Ice, ain't ya?"

It startled me when he called me that. Nobody ever called me that besides Mark. My real name is Iris but Mark always told me it was too much trouble to pronounce.

I nodded, "You know him?"

He threw his head back and laughed, "My God, do I know him. He ain't here though. I assume you're looking for him."

"Can you take me to him?" I asked.

He shook his head, his dirty brown hair falling in front of his face, "I would love to be there when you show up on his front porch but, I can't leave my post. I'll get someone for you."

He looked around the crowded room for a second and then called out to two boys across the room. They were awfully beautiful. I mean, there were good looking boys in my old town but this was different. The one boy had a tan that went down to his bone and warm blue eyes. I learned later his name was Sodapop Curtis. The other boy was anything but warm. He was dressed in a leather jacket so dark that it matched his eyes, sitting under heavy set brows. I wanted to know why his eyes were in angry slants and why he couldn't stop looking over his shoulders. His name was Dallas Winston, but I "could call him Dally."

Dallas and Sodapop said they would take me to Marks, even though Dallas seemed less than pleased to do so. I think he only did it because he said the party was a bust. 

"You're a walking replica of Mark." Sodapop stared at me through the darkness.

"Considering I'm older, Mark is the walking replica of me." I rolled my eyes, doing my best not to fall for the handsome boys charm.

I'd always been told that, although I've never been quite sure why. Mark has golden eyes and mine are light blue. He has dark hair while mine is lighter. It must have been something else entirely that made us seem similar and I never have figured out what it was.

"And I have the feeling you've got just as much attitude." Dallas spoke up from behind, smirking.

Something about the way he spoke bugged me. It seemed like everyone knew who Mark and I were and I didn't know anybody.

"You know Mark well?" I asked, trying to keep the annoyance out of my voice.

I know it sounds horrible but I like to keep people around just in case I need them later. Dallas seemed like he knew the town well and everybody in it. He could be helpful.

Dallas shrugged so I didn't push it. I'm not one for small talk anyways.

Pretty soon we were at Marks. His house was nicer than I expected it to be, especially after Sodapop told me he lived by himself. Even then I wondered how the hell he managed to make that much money at only 16. Sodapop hollered from across the lawn and pretty soon Mark had opened up the door. I swear he nearly fainted when he saw me.

"Well Jesus, Ice. What the hell are you doing here?" His golden eyes gleamed through the darkness as he threw his arms around me.

I shrugged, "I need a place to crash."

He didn't ask any more questions. That was enough explanation for Mark. He's not one for small talk either. Mark and I weren't going to have some big reunion. Neither of us were much into hugging and crying but, I will admit I was awful glad to see him. He'd grown up a lot since I saw him. His face was no longer round and soft but instead chiseled and defined. I reckon he'd grown about a foot too. We used to be about the same height, but now my head was barely up to his shoulders.

"Well, you're welcome to stay with me." He said, flashing me a smile.

Suddenly, his smile dropped from his face and I turned to see him staring straight at Dallas, who was staring right back. Even though I could barely see his face I could tell he was shooting daggers. 

"Come on, Ice." Mark shrugged and closed the door after thanking Sodapop for dropping me off.

Mark started walking me towards the second bedroom in the house. In the hallway there was a window and when I looked out I could still see Dallas staring. I started questioning then, who I was moving in with. What could Mark have done that made Dallas so angry?

Maybe if I would have thought about that question a little longer that night I never would have gotten myself into so much trouble.