Part 8

"Jeopardy? Really?" you snort at his choice.

"Great show." He grins.

"Don't you know all the answers already?"

"Not all of them."

You stand behind the couch watching for a moment.

"I'm going to bed. When I wake up, I want to hear all the things that Trebek knows and you don't."

"Hey, Trebek and I are equals!" He calls after you.

It takes some shifting of your pillows to find a comfortable position that supports your shoulder. You drift off to the faint sound of the T.V.

It's dark outside by the time Reid wakes you up. He announces that there's chinese take out in the kitchen and gives you a hand to pull you out of bed.

You're busy shoving lo mein in your mouth when he brings it up.

"I've been thinking about what you said."

You raise your eyebrows, unsure what exactly it is he's talking about.

"Us having kids." He clarifies.

You nearly choke on your noodles.

"Reid, I was so drunk-" the memory of that night makes you blush.

"I think it's a good idea." he says when you trail off.

"You're joking." you say in shock. Dr. Spencer Reid wants to have a baby? With you?

"I'm not."

"It would never work."

"Why not?" You can tell he's humoring you. He hasn't gotten defensive yet, and you know there's no way he'd bring this up if his genius brain hadn't already worked out the details. But you couldn't just say yes. This isn't the sort of decision you just make in a matter of seconds.

"Reid, the only reason you're here to have this conversation is because I got attacked by an unsub 24 hours ago!"

"You wouldn't have been in that situation if you were pregnant. The team got JJ through it, we'd get you through it too."

"What about the 18 years after that?"

He stared at you for a moment.

You started up again. "If we're both in the field, who's going to take care of the baby?"

"We alternate field work and helping Garcia." he rattled his solution off like it would be so easy.

"No way. Hotch would fire me if I even considered asking to reduce half my caseload."

"It wouldn't be half, we'd work every case and switch who goes. You didn't replace anyone- we worked with one less agent for years and everything was fine."

"Reid, you're way too valuable to the BAU to leave behind on cases. If anybody on the team had the choice between me and you, they'd pick you every time. And you know it."

"You've contributed tons to the team. They respect you just as much as they do me."

"This isn't..." you struggled for the right words "...some kind of self confidence issue. I know I can do this job and do it well. But your mind is the best asset the BAU has."

He didn't respond at first. You both sat in silence, staring at the food that had been untouched since Reid brought this whole thing up. You felt like crying and you couldn't think of a good reason why.

When he did respond, it was in that lilting tone that could have passed for a joke but was always earnest when it came from Reid.

"I think Garcia is the best asset we have."

You're stressed. You're in a little bit of shock. But damn if it didn't melt your heart a little to hear him praise Garcia. In your line of work, you met plenty of smart criminals. Thinking about the jerks you knew in college who still pulled good grades, a little part of you wondered if the smarter a person is, the more cruel they can be.

Reid was the best counter example you could think of. He was the smartest as well as the kindest man you knew. He spent his whole day off watching over you just because of a couple of stitches. Plenty of guys you know would have chanced a look at your body earlier, but he didn't. A few months after you joined the team, he admitted that the first thing he did after he met you was track down your master's thesis, which he then proceeded to compliment you on. After a long day in the field, you often found yourself in his hotel room, where he'd talk your ear off until you felt better. He was the best person you knew. Your life was better with him in it.

You wanted to say yes to him.

He beat you to the punch.

"I'm not asking for a decision right now, but I just want you to know I'm in. Take all the time you need to think about it."

"You really think we could pull this off?" you ask.

The confidence in his voice is the best reaction you could have asked for.

"I really do."

You finish dinner without any more conversation. Reid insists on cleaning up, but not before he walks you back to your bedroom. You get settled into bed, and he brings you water and painkillers.

"Thanks for doing this, Reid. I've got my phone over here so I'll call if anything comes up."

"I'm not going up to my apartment, y/n. I'm taking your couch. Any stress you put on the wound will lengthen healing time. On average, every newton of force applied to a wound..." He rattles off his justification and you don't protest. You don't think you really need him here, but you like having him around.

A/N: Thanks for reading! Comments are always welcome :)

"We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down." Kurt Vonnegut