Part 12

The case wraps up on a friday afternoon, temping you all to stay and finish up paperwork before the weekend. It never quite works out that well, but you all can dream.

After five, only the BAU is left on the floor, though JJ left to get home. Your head snaps up at the sound of the main door opening.

Will has Henry cradled in his arms while JJ follows behind them with carry-out for the team.

"If she doesn't marry you, I will." Prentiss grins as she stands from her desk.

"It was my idea!" JJ insists. In response, Prentiss raises an eyebrow at her, then winks.

You head off to Garcia's office to tell her about dinner. She's far more excited when she hears that her godson came along. You've never seen a woman move so fast in heels before.

"Give me the baby, babe." She reaches out to Reid, who's been playing with Henry in your absence.

It strikes you as you all eat around the conference room table that it really does feel like a big family dinner. You've warmed up to Rossi overtime. There wasn't a particular moment where you accepted him, but watching him work with Hotch and approach the job with a bit of humor put you at ease. The BAU no longer felt like it had a step-father. You spend the dinner between Morgan and Will, who trade stories of the weirdest 911 calls that got dispatched to them and they leave you crying laughing.

On the other side of Will and JJ, Garcia and Reid are both fawning over their godson. Remembering the date and seeing Reid with the baby, your heart beats a little faster. Surely Reid remembered what the two of you had originally planned for the day?

He made no mention of it nor did he give you any odd looks. Should you mention it? Or would that make things more awkward?

With everybody still in the office, you put it to the back of your mind. JJ leaves with her family after dinner, and Garcia leaves shortly after that. Prentiss and Morgan go out for a beer, and you turn down their offer to join. Next is Rossi, who shares absolutely nothing about his plans. Hotch stays until nearly eight, before tossing some keys to Reid and mentioning Jack's Saturday morning soccer games.

Then it's just the two of you. You didn't stay on purpose, you really were finishing a report. Still, you pretend to read over your work while you watch Reid from the corner of your eye. He continues whatever he was working on, so after a minute you give up on him and go back to the report.

He waits until after you've gotten back into the groove. An arm slips around your shoulders while a hand lands on your desk, effectively boxing you in.

"I was just about to head out and I remembered you don't have a car here." He says next to your ear.

You shut down your computer.

"Now that you mention it, I might just have to hitchhike home." You play along.

"Can't have that. You wouldn't believe how many hitchhikers end up dead."

You break and laugh. "Why, because it's higher than I'd think? Or lower?"

He stands up straight and smiles at you. "Honestly, I don't know. Never had a hitchhiking case."

"Should I just take my chances out there?"

"Nah, come with me."

"Victims almost always know their killers." You say as you slip into your coat.

"Too bad a witness saw us together here earlier. I'll never get away with it now." He holds the door open for you. Conversation is light and natural on your way home. It was a long six days of work, but the case ended with an arrest before anymore people were killed, so it was the sort of week that was immediately satisfying.