Part 24

On the drive home, you can't get JJ out of your head. Your hands actually hurt by the time you pulled into your parking spot from how hard you were holding the wheel. She and Reid had always been close, so you figured talking to him was your best bet to figure out what's going on in her mind.

You let yourself into his apartment, but he is nowhere to be found. You kick off your boots by the door and settle down onto his couch- the first trimester fatigue wasn't totally gone yet, so a nap was in order. You knew it was probably the hormones speaking, but recently you seemed to sleep better when Spencer was around. His apartment was a poor substitute, but at least it smelled like him.

You woke up to somebody's face in front of yours. All that self defense training from your college days kicked in and you struck out with your arm, slamming the heels of your palm into the person's nose. You sat up and got ready to shove yourself on top of them and strike again when you heard Reid's voice.

"It's just me!" he complained from his spot on the rug in front of you.

You scrambled to turn on the light beside you. Sure enough, you had given Reid a bloody nose.

"Oh, shit, fuck. Sorry, Reid. I think I've got tissues in my bag." You stand up and reach a hand to him to help him up.

"No, it's fine. You didn't get me that bad." he raises his hand beneath his nose and inspects the drops of blood.

"You could at least fuel my ego a little." you complain, heading for your purse anyways.

"You didn't have enough room to get a good hit in. You can't be surprised that you didn't break my nose." he points out.

"It was good enough to knock you on your ass." you say under your breath.

He snorts at that. "What're you up to?"

"Wanted to talk to you, so I figured I'd just nap until you got back. Didn't think it'd be after sunset." you dab at the blood on his face.

"Is everything alright?" God, he's pretty when he looks up at you with those eyes.

"Spencer, if something was wrong I wouldn't wait around in your apartment to tell you."

"But something's bothering you."

"I know I'm a profiler too, but damn we're irritating." you throw away the bloody tissue and flop down on his couch again.

You don't speak, so Reid points out "Everybody was excited today. Work will get easier now that the team knows. You mentioned the morning sickness was getting better."

You can't help but bring it up. "Did you get to talk to JJ today?"

"A little- she told me congrats but that's really all we got to talk about."

You lower your voice a bit and turn to look over the back of the couch and face where he's at the door, toeing off his shoes. "Did she seem off to you?"

"No?" he moves to the kitchen and gets a glass.

"Huh." you push off of the back to sit normally on the couch again.

He brings two glasses of water over and sits on the opposite side of the couch, but turning sideways.

"Spit it out, y/n."

"She just kept looking at me weird. She wants to have lunch tomorrow-with just me."

"What'd you say?"

"It's not like I could say no. I'm gonna hear her out."

"Y/n, how do you know she needs you to hear her out? Maybe she just wants to give you advice, or maybe it's not about the baby at all."

"Reid, I didn't tell you this before, but before I decided to go through with this, I floated it past Penelope, Emily, and JJ. JJ gave me the most push back about it."

He frowns. "What did she say?"

You hesitate. If you tell him she thought it was a bad idea, he might talk to her about it, and knowing JJ, she'd probably want to argue her side. She had a right to, but her competitive streak from school had never really left her and if you weren't careful, she could run literal and logical laps around you. She and Reid weren't a pair you'd want to watch in an argument. Maybe she'd agree with his point of view, or maybe she'd convince him he made a mistake.

Despite the morning sickness subsiding, that thought made you want to puke.

"I think she just worries that we're rushing into this." you say lamely.

"Sort of hypocritical for her to-" his voice raises in pitch, giving away the emotion.

"Spencer." you cut him off. "You know she means well. Pointing out that Henry wasn't planned isn't going to do anything but hurt her." That's the last thing you want- to be the reason behind their fight. Reid should know better than to drag JJ and Will's relationship into this.

He should. Back when you had joined the team, Peneople had filled you in on JJ and Reid's history. It seemed like history. Reid never looked at JJ with anything other than platonic love in his eyes, but there had been some moments when you thought you caught JJ worrying a bit too much over him, her eyes lingering a bit too long on him. When Will first came to D.C., you thought JJ's awkward behavior around him was because she was nervous to introduce him to the team. But a year, she still didn't act completely herself with him and the team. When you say them at home, they were like any other couple, but something about the group made her uncomfortable. Maybe she hadn't gotten over Reid after all. If she still had a crush on Reid, it would make sense that she hated bringing Will around him.

Did Reid somehow not realize that JJ didn't like Will and Reid being around each other? If Reid made her feel insecure about her relationship, she would probably have a legendary meltdown trying to cope with Reid poking at the holes between the two.

You didn't know what JJ wanted to talk about, but you knew one thing.

You absolutely could not let Reid find out if JJ was unsupportive.

You would rather wait out her frostiness until she comes to peace with it, no matter how long it takes. You can't be the reason Spencer loses one of his best friends.

"I'm just overthinking things." you assure him. "I'll let you know how the lunch goes, okay?"

A bit faster than necessary, you gather your stuff and head out, making idle chit chat to Reid the entire time so that he doesn't mention JJ again.

You went straight to the elevator and to the first floor. If Reid wasn't going to be helpful, you know somebody who would.

You wait until you start your car and leave it idling while you call from the front seat.

The call is picked up on the second ring.

"Hey, babe and baby. What's up?"

"Hey, Penny." you smile at her voice. "You busy tonight?"

A/N: 7.4k omfg that insane guys tysm for reading!!!!!!

writing has been good for working off my nerves lately lol im supposed to move into my dorm on the 20th and im nervous about going and also about staying home but im just trying to get through it day by day (sometimes minute by minute)

This wasn't supposed to be its own ch, but it got long so here ya go! the next ch will prob be up tonight bc as soon as I post it im going to go back to writing

also i promise JJ isn't going to be the antagonist in this story but you cant tell me that reid will and JJ have the weirdest energy so im trying to fix that in this story and we have got to start somewhere lol

"People say friends don't destroy one another; what do they know about friends?" -The Mountain Goats