Part 9

Hotch makes you take an extra day off when the rest of the team returns to the office. Alone for a day, you wander around your apartment, trying to picture where all the baby items would go. You still can't find a spot for the crib by lunch, so you give up and lay on your couch, alternating reading articles about trying for a baby and scrolling through social media.

In-vitro costs thousands, and you can't imagine asking Reid for a sperm sample so you can turkey-baste yourself. Would Reid rather pay the five grand than sleep with you? The question nagged at you for the rest of the week, but you couldn't bring yourself to mention it to him. By Friday, your head is filled with thoughts of Reid as a dad. You still feel the urge for a second opinion, if nothing else, then to make sure that you're serious about this.

You start easy: Garcia.

She is, of course, thrilled when you slip into her office that afternoon to tell her.

"My little darlings are all grown up! And they want to have an even littler darling!"

Next up: Prentiss.

"You're throwing in the towel? Look, I know dating in D.C. is rough and I'm sure you're sick of lawyers, but you're a catch."

"I'm not worried about dying alone!" You laugh. "But this is a good time in my career to have a baby. I don't want to lose this job, Emily. This way, I've got the job and the baby and whenever the right person comes along, they'll know what they're getting into."

She looks skeptical and quizzes you some more about the plan, but ultimately, she tells you she trusts your judgment.

The challenge is JJ.

Being the only mother in the BAU, her opinion matters the most to you, and you're well aware it probably wouldn't be positive.

You bring her an iced tea and sit down in her office.

She raises a brow at you. It's uncommon for you to loiter in JJ's office in the middle of the work day. It's far more likely that you'll be in Garcia's, so JJ knows something's up.

"Got a minute?" you ask.

She closes the folder on her desk. "I've got five."

Her poker face has been perfected by all the press conferences she's given. She stares at you while you nervously lay out the plan.

"y/n, being a mother is the best part of my life. Being with Will makes it even better. Why wouldn't you wait for the right person? You're not even thirty!"

"I'm almost thirty. Reid's not the right person to marry, but he's the right person to be a father. I'd trust him with anything. We're in a good spot- we can afford to trade field work. Gideon practically hand picked Reid to lead the BAU some day. Once he starts moving up the ranks, he's going to lose out on so much time."

"What about you?"

"What about me?"

"What happens to you when he moves on to bigger things?"

Bigger things? Does she mean you or the baby?

"JJ, you know about his dad and you've seen how dedicated he is to his mother. He's not going to abandon his child."

"No, I mean your career, y/n. What happens when Reid is full time in the field? When he starts working longer hours?"

"One of us will be married by then. We'll work it out with our partners."

She's quiet for a minute before she spits it out.

"I don't think he will get married."

You weren't expecting that. "Why not? You've seen how people drool over him in the field."

"I'm sure he'll have offers, but do you really think he could let somebody in like that? Access to his life, for the rest of his life?"

You can't help but think that's exactly the position having a baby would put him in.

"He let all of us in." You leave out the fact that he let you in the most.

The conversation has run its course.

"Have a good weekend, alright, JJ?" She gives you a small smile on your way out.

You had worried that everybody would tell you what an idiot you were, but ultimately nobody had questioned your capabilities as an agent or a possible mother. It wasn't exactly their blessing (other than Garcia), but it felt good to talk about the situation.

Your thrilling Friday night plans included getting your stitches out at an urgent care. It takes far more time than it really should, so you get take-out on the way back home. A glass of wine later and you're out cold until morning.

You don't bother rolling out of bed until eleven. You've got a voicemail for Reid. You hit speaker while you get ready.

"Hey, y/n. I just-I'm sorry. I was way out of bounds. You were drunk when you came up with the idea, and I never should have brought it up when you were injured. I know I showed up unannounced last night, and I shouldn't have done that either. You have every right to ignore me. I just want you to know how I feel. I don't want to lose you over this. Give me a call whenever you feel up to it. Today, tomorrow, a year- I'll pick up."

You don't even register dropping your hairbrush onto your foot. It snaps you back to reality.

He was here last night?

You rack your brain, but unless he pulled an Edward and watched you sleep, he must have just banged on the door and thought you were ignoring him.

You listen to the message again. This time, you notice how emotional he sounds.

You hauled ass out to the building's stairwell and took the stairs two at a time. You banged on his door with your fist, calling his name.

His eyes are slightly puffy when the door swings open.

"I-I had a long week, and I got my stitches out last night. I just crashed when I got home. I wasn't ignoring you, I swear." He's visibly relaxed some, so you keep going. "I've thought about it all week." Now you're smiling. "Let's have a baby."