Chapter One

Thank you for clicking on my story. Chapter one is just the beginning, literally. It explains what is happening and how the main character knows what's going on. Please leave comments or stars (whatever that does) if you like it and if you don't please let me know what I can do better. I ask that you please stick with me, it does get better. This chapter is pretty boring but it only gets better from here. Thank you again.

BEFORE THE OUTBREAK

I stood there at my register, waiting on Mrs. Blanyard to finish placing her items on the conveyor belt so I could scan them. Just thinking of how my life would be so much easier and would be so much better had I not met Jake. Not only did he ruin my life but he ruined the life of my kids as well.

"Good morning Mrs. B." I said with a smile. I worked at the only big store we had here in Hudson Wyoming, it sold everything; from food to clothes to home decor but if you wanted furniture, you had to drive to the nearest big city which was two hours away.

"Good morning dear. How are you today?" Mrs. Blanyard asked me.

"Oh, I am alright. Thank you for asking. How are you doing today?" I asked back. Living in a small town with less than three hundred people, everyone knew everyone. About ninety percent of the people who lived in Hudson was born and raised here. Mrs. Blanyard was my teacher from first grade to fourth grade and again in high school; she was also my next door neighbor.

"I am doing well dear. How is Nick doing?" She asked softly. Nick is my step-dad and the reason I returned home. My mom needed help talking care of him so instead of going to a campus where I was working on getting my master's degree to become a doctor. Now I did online classes.

"He is doing better, thank you for asking." I told her as I continued scanning her items.

"Ugh! Can you hurry up!? We don't have all day." I heard another customer say from behind Mrs. Blanyard.

"I am sorry." I mumbled.

"Oh don't be sorry Laurell." Mrs. Blanyard said as she turned around, "You hush Angie, she is going as fast as she can and she is being nice."

"She could go faster." Angie said.

"Would you like to take her place? Would you like to do her job?" Mrs. Blanyard asked.

"No." Angie said, grinding her teeth.

"Then hush. She'll be done when she gets done." Mrs. Blanyard told her as she turned back around to face me.

"Your total is fifty two sixty four, Mrs. B." I told her with a smile.

"Here you are dearie." Mrs. Blanyard said as she handed me three new twenty dollar bills.

"Here is your change ma'am. Five, six, seven dollars and thirty six cents. Thank you Mrs. B. Hope to see you again soon." I told her.

"You will. Come over after work and pick up some of the cookies I am making." Mrs. Blanyard said as she grabbed her bags and headed out.

"About time." Angie said as she placed her items on the conveyor belt and walked to stand across from me. I eyed her items but didn't say anything. She had a pregnancy test, condoms and chocolate. Too late for the condoms I thought to myself.

"Your total is twenty two forty." I told her with a forced smile.

"Whatever, here." Angie said as she handed me a twenty and a five.

"Your change is one, two dollars and sixty cents." I told her, "Have a great day."

"Sure." She said as she snatched her bag and took off out the door.