Chapter Six

When I finished telling the story of my marriage and told them the person their friend really was, I tossed the folder on the table and told them to have a look. I turned my back because I didn't want to see the pictures, that was part of my past and I didn't want to see them and relive the moment.

I heard Jace suck in a breath and when I turned around, Kai's face was sheet white.

"I didn't know he was like that." Kai said softly.

"Most monsters hide their true nature. They hide themselves behind the face they want people to see. They usually unleash their monsters behind closed doors because they don't want their friends to see how they really are." I told him.

"If I would've known he did this, I wouldn't have agreed to look for you." Jace said.

"How did you find me?" I asked.

"Jake thought we should check around your family, see if you were with them or close to them. That lead us here." Kai told me.

"Let me ask you something." I said to them. "Did you know that Jake is at the Colorado border? He is guarding the gate, preventing anyone from getting in or out."

"He's what?!" Jace said as he jumped up.

"Pull it up Ben." I told him.

I heard Ben start to type some things on the computer when he pulled up surveillance that he had from right before the outbreak til now.

"See. This is the three days before the outbreak." I told them. "And these are from then until now."

"He's still there?" Kai asked.

"Yes." Ben said.

"He might let us out." Kai said as he turned to his brother.

"No, he probably won't." Jace said, "not unless we give him the information he wants and that's not something I am willing to do Kai."

"Okay, fine." Kai said. "But we need to figure a way out of here, we can't stay here forever. We will eventually run out of food, water and other supplies."

"No we won't." I said. "I took precautions. The storage room is filled from wall to wall, floor to ceiling with supplies. Everything from food to water, medical is stocked as well. If anything starts to happen and we run low on supplies, we can go out to the stores and to the houses to get more. If you want to take your chances on having Jake get you out of here, be my guest but my children and I are staying here."

"How are you prepared for this?" Jace asked.

"Because I warned her." Ben said as he turned around in his computer chair to face us. "I worked for the CDC and seen how they planned on releasing a neuroagent or virus on the state of Wyoming, not sure why they chose Wyoming but they did. I warned Laurell, who already had a bunker built; doomsday prepper. When I warned her, she started getting the things we needed for inside here. Everything from food to weapons to beds."

"Why didn't you tell others?" Kai asked.

"Because we didn't want to send everyone in a panic and the CDC change their minds about releasing the neuroagent. We are trying to make up for that mistake by rescuing all the survivors that we can." I told them.

"What about the guys in town?" Jace said.

"Oh, you mean Billy and the gang?" I said. "No, they don't deserve saving. They deserve what is coming to them."

"I still think we should go talk to Jake, Jace." Kai said. "He might help us."

"No he won't." I said. "If you want to take your chances, I will get you close to the border and drop you off, you can try but I know how he is. He doesn't care about anyone other than himself."