Jungkook's Birthday

RIEUL

"Jungkook?"

I drag myself into the small house, massaging my shoulders and trying to press down the dull ache in my back. All I want is to fall asleep, but I have to check if Jungkook ate.

A loud clatter echoes.

I smile softly when Jungkook comes running, a children's book tucked in one arm and a drawing in the other. He comes so fast I have to remind him to slow down again.

"Kook, what did I say to do when you're excited?"

He taps his chest proudly, giving me a sheepish smile as he clumsily stops his feet.

"Take deep breaths— take deep breaths, and always make sure not to run!"

I tilt my head, nodding. "And why?"

"Because I can get hurt!"

"That's right." I say, slipping my shoes off of my sore feet. "So what have you been doing? Did you eat already?"

He starts bouncing on his heels, and I close the door behind me as he shakes the drawing in front of my face.

"Look, Noona, look! I drew a picture from here— it's supposed to be, supposed to be a tiger. What do you think!"

I whistle, examining the messily colored drawing of the animal. The paper's crumpled around the edges, from him holding it so tight.

"Jungkook, you've gotten so much better."

He smiles childishly, and bows his head in a shy expression. It makes me laugh, and I wipe at his crayon-streaked cheeks in one hand, patting at his soft brown hair with the other.

"Good job."

"Noona." He suddenly pipes up, blinking. "Do you think that he'll think it's good too? Kim Taehyung-ssi?"

I smile. Jungkook loved this painter's work, loved it so much he'd covered the  walls with his art. This painter, who went by the name V.

"I'm sure he'd love it."

Jungkook grins. Then he skips back inside, humming under his breath with his soft voice. And then I snap my head back up, remembering that he hadn't answered me still.

"Wait— Kook! Did you remember to eat the meal I set out for you on the table?"

He yells back a yes.

"Alright then." I say as I clap my hands together, putting my jacket on the back of a chair. "Then you know what time it is. Time to go to sleep."

Jungkook groans. But I smile when he reluctantly lets go of the crayons, putting them down on the desk. And then he obediently goes to lie down on the blanket I'd set out for him.

I turn the lights off, too exhausted to do anything else.

As I lie down on the blankets next to him, I watch Jungkook with blurring eyes as he waves his arms in the air. He's drawing circles with his fingertips, before switching to squares.

"Noona?"

My eyes snap open. I hadn't realized I'd even closed them, my arms and legs all feeling so heavy.