That Damn Song

Taylor and Joe are spending their evening together in the kitchen, Taylor is attempting to bake a cake while Joe is pretty much just sitting there, doing his best to distract her. The radio playing softly in the background provoke's the occasional musical discussion. Despite the distraction he's causing - Taylor appreciates this time with him. 

"Joe!" She whines as he tries to kiss her for like the hundredth time.

"What? I can't kiss my girlfriend?" He teases before leaning closer to her for another kiss, but this time she swats him away with her hand.

"You can, but I'm trying to bake this cake and you're really distracting!" She exclaims, focusing back on the fondant she's laid out. Only a few moments later and she feels Joe come up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist, trailing gentle kisses down her neck, causing her to groan in frustration again. She hates how good it feels. 

"Joe!" Her eyes flutter shut for a moment, happily accepting the kisses for a moment before forcing herself to step out of his grasp.

"C'mon babe, let me finish this and then I promise I'm all yours!" She watches Joe pretend to pout like a little child, laughing at him before getting back to work. He sits on the stool across the bench watching her, she can feel his eyes following her movements - causing the faintest smile to cross her lips. "You got any plans for tomorrow?" She asks him, still intently focused on crafting a flower out of fondant as the cake bakes in the oven.

"I have a couple of meetings mid-morning but I should be done by one. You?" He picks up a piece of fondant, rolling it into a tiny ball - clearly feeling a little bored. Taylor just shakes her head.

"No, I'm just going to hang around here. But don't forget we're going out in the evening for my mom's birthday. It's at six and it'll take an hour for us to get down there." She sees Joe smirk out of the corner of her eye.

"How could I forget? You've only told me a million times. Particularly about this cake that you're choosing over me tonight." Taylor laughs, shaking her head playfully. 

"You know it has to sit overnight, everything needs to be ready so I can finish it tomorrow while you're out. Besides, you have me here all day everyday to yourself. Surely you can survive an hour or two!" Joe groans,

"I know but I can't help it! You're just so hot in those cat pyjamas!" Taylor feels heat rise to her cheeks as she laughs at him.

"Yeah that's right Joe, I wore this exact outfit just to seduce you." She looks up at him finally, sees the biggest grin on his face and can't help but smile back at him before re-focusing on her work. 

They continue their playful banter for a while, laughing, enjoying one another's company. It's a peaceful feeling, just the two of them here - him happily sitting with her while she works. That is until suddenly the night changes for Taylor. The radio begins playing Famous. The stupid song that brought everything crashing down around her - the snake train. Kim and Kanye. It had been a big reason as to why she's disappeared from the public view for a while, why she's lost so many of her friends - purely because she'd been stripped of her shiny paint. Her shoulders stiffen up, she tries to just ignore the song and continue crafting her flowers but her mood has soured. She thinks Joe has picked up on her sudden mood shift, but he clearly hasn't noticed the song just yet. 

I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex, why? I made that bitch famous.

It only takes a few seconds before Joe's demeanour changes and she knows that he knows. She sees him jump up to change the radio station, a much softer song begins playing softly - one she doesn't quite recognise, but likes. Joe sits back down but neither of them say anything, she doesn't want to. She's tired of that song controlling her life, it's just all so frustrating. Like yes, she's lost friends - but clearly they weren't people who wanted to be in her life for the right reasons. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt. It doesn't help how much the internet has turned against her - so much so that it's coming from every single angle in her life. She's seen her own fans turning against her. Hating Taylor Swift has become a trend, something that's 'cool to do'. 

"You okay?" Joe's gentle voice breaks through her thoughts. She nods, biting her lip and tucking a stray strand of her hair behind her ear - still yet to look up at him. Working with her fingers has alway been a good distraction - whether it's the guitar, piano or apparently crafting flowers out of soft, sticky, sugary substances. Taylor knows she'll be okay, she just needs to relax again, which is something she struggles to do on her own. She hears the stool Joe's sitting on screech across the kitchen tiles as he gets up, slowly moving towards her. She feels him place a hand on her shoulder.

"Hey..." He murmurs softly, clearly just wanting to be here for her. Taylor finally stops, allowing him to pull her close. She wraps her arms loosely around his neck, feeling comforted by his arms holding her tight. She rests her head against his chest, letting a sigh escape her lips and closing her eyes briefly, allowing his warmth to consume her and help block out all of the noise inside her mind. She hadn't heard that song in a while and she just hadn't been expecting it. But she's okay, she's safe here - happy in his arms. 

"I love you." She whispers, moving her arms to wrap them around his torso, holding onto him tight. She feels him press a kiss to the top of her head.

"I love you too." He murmurs into her ear, resting his cheek on her head. This one of the many things she loves about him. He's so willing to just hold her - even when she hasn't yet admitted she's overwhelmed. He just knows. Even though she's not as distraught as she would have been a few months ago, he knows it still somewhat affects her, and he's here for her every single time. 

She's brought out of her reverie as the oven timer goes off - forcing Taylor to pull away from him. She smiles gratefully before placing a gentle kiss to his lips. She pulls her cake out of the often, quickly removing it from the tin and leaving it out to cool on a wire rack. She walks back over to Joe, lacing her fingers through his

"I'm done for today. Let's just go upstairs." She mumbles, leading him to their room. Joe just simply nods, allowing her to lead him upstairs. They both quickly snuggle up together in bed, turning on the TV to a rerun of Friends. Joe has his arms wrapped firmly around her, his thumb subconsciously tracing gentle patterns over her skin. Taylor happily cuddles into him, her head resting on his chest and feeling better as time moves forward. 

Being wrapped up in her boyfriend's arms while watching her comfort show has her feeling pretty close to normal now and she's glad. Happy that she's come so far from where was a few months back - where she would have broken down into tears the moment the song started. And she's feeling so incredibly lucky to have Joe in her life. She knew he was different from anyone else she'd been with since she met him. It only solidified as she got to know him, and started dating him. He pays attention to her, he care about her and always notices things that everyone else doesn't. She knows it's early, but she figures he's the one for her and god she loves him so much - more than she ever realised was possible, the love only grows every single day they spend together. As she feels herself drifting off in his arms, she tilts her head up to kiss him once more.

"You okay?" He asks again, his fingers running through her hair. She nods, offering him a real smile this time.

"I genuinely am now. Thank you for understanding." She murmurs, wanting him to know. She feels his lips press a kiss to her forehead. 

"Always." He gently kisses her lips. "I love you so much." He says softly. 

"I love you too." She whispers, snuggling back into his chest and letting herself fall happily into a deep sleep as Joe holds onto her tightly.