The Sale Of Her Masters

Taylor wakes up pretty early, she rubs her eyes before stretching her arms above her head - slowly adjusting to being awake. She looks over at her sleeping boyfriend and smiles. Being here in London with him is her favourite, she wishes it could always be like this. Sunlight streams through through the cracks in the blinds - a rarity in London and it always makes the city shine just that little bit more. As she finally wakes up properly, she can hear her phone buzzing excessively on the nightstand. She quietly groans, grabbing her phone and rolling out of bed before making her way downstairs. The buzzing stops but as she scrolls through her notifications, her blood runs cold. She knows something big has happened overnight because her entire team have been calling her - including her parents. She takes a deep breath - collecting herself for a moment before calling Tree, knowing she'll get straight to the point. 

"Taylor?! Finally! I've been calling you for fifteen minutes!" Tree's frantic voice comes through the phone. It worries Taylor a little, usually her publicist is a pretty calm woman. 

"I know! You and everyone else, what the hell is going on?" Taylor paces through the living room of their London home, feeling anxious about whatever she's about to hear. The last time her publicist had sounded this concerned was when Kim had posted those snapchat videos. She's begging to whoever's listening that this isn't going to be a repeat of 2016. 

"Look, Taylor this is going to sting. I'm so sorry for what I have to tell you." She can hear Tree taking a deep breath and her heart sinks. "Scott Borchetta just sold your masters for three hundred million." Taylor rolls her eyes, of course he did - and no heads up. Typical. 

"We knew he would. Why is everyone so frantic about this? Like yeah it sucks but I expected it - it was a huge reason for me leaving BMR." 

"Yeah I know, but unfortunately there's more. He sold it to Scooter Braun." Taylor's heart stops, betrayal seeping into her veins. Scott had known what Scooter has done to her over the years, he must have known how she would feel about this. Why the hell hadn't he called to warn her at least? Where was his sense of loyalty to her? Clearly it had flown out the window the moment he'd seen dollar signs. 

"He did what?" She can hear the fiery anger in her own voice, the anger bubbling in her chest is insurmountable. This is her music, her whole entire life fill those songs. It had been bad enough that he refused to sell to her, but now he's sold them to him? Someone who had bullied her online for years. Someone who had played no part in creating any of it? She'd written so many of those songs in her diaries, on planes, on her bedroom floor as a teenager. She'd spent years working her ass off for those songs, every single one of them hold a special place in her heart because they are her experiences, her feelings and her emotions alone - a catalogue filled with memories. Now Scooter has them.

"I know. I'm so sorry Taylor, none of us knew until it hit the internet today. I wish we could've given you a heads up about all this. I know how important your work is to you and I know how shitty he is." Taylor feels her shoulders slump, she doesn't know what to do now - she's at a complete loss. She can't fix this, no one can. Why couldn't Scott have just let her buy it all? She would've paid anything for her music. 

"It's okay, it's not your fault - obviously. Look, I need to go. Can we talk more about this later?" She sits down at the kitchen counter, covering her face with her hands.

"Of course, take the time you need okay? I really am sorry." Tree knows every battle Taylor's had with this, Taylor knows how sympathetic she is. She just sighs, 

"Thanks." She mumbles before hanging up. She just sits there, numb for a moment - trying to figure out what next. She texts her parents, letting them know she's aware of the situation and telling them to not worry, that she's okay. She logs into Twitter and is immediately hit with all the headlines, her fans seem confused. She knows the world doesn't know anything about her issues with Scooter, she always dealt with these things privately. She knows she needs to address it, to announce her feelings about her entire catalogue being sold. But for now she just puts her phone down, she wants them to know but she can't deal with just yet. She needs some time to process what's just happened.