7

I blinked, reading and rereading the small letters under the smooth bubble of text I had sent last. 

"Read - 1:10 PM"

1:10 PM...that was three hours ago. He read my messages three hours ago and didn't even respond with a single word. I would've been satisfied with a single punctuation mark, even. 

Maybe he looked at it and forgot to answer? You do that sometimes, Shion. Maybe he just forgot. 

I quelled my rising suspicion by granting him the benefit of the doubt, my thumb rising to type out a new message. 

"What do you think?"

I waited as I walked, although after a minute had passed there were still no changes. Bai Yul had not read my text yet. 

Fine, I'll wait one more day. If he doesn't show up to class tomorrow...

"Come on, come on, Mr.Editor-in-Chief! We'll be late!" 

I jerked back as a guy suddenly jumped out in front of me, forcing me to nearly trip over myself to avoid his abrupt appearance. He didn't even seem to notice me as he turned and waved at the doorway, his buddy (I assume) walking out seconds later. 

"Shut up." His friend fumbled with something on his chest - a nametag - and leaned down to carelessly throw it into his briefcase. "The day is over, so don't call me that anymore." 

Both of them began walking through the hall, the first guy landing two claps to his friend's shoulder as I trekked behind them. I frowned a bit watching them; they looked a little familiar, but I wasn't sure where I had seen them. 

"Sure, Mr.Editor-in-Chief."

Their voices were loud; the hustle and bustle in the somewhat crowded corridor didn't impede my eavesdropping from a couple of feet away. 

"Fuck you. What are we going to be late to?" Mr.Editor-in-Chief nonchalantly raised a hand and glided it over his buzzcut as he turned to look at his friend.

What are you smoothing down? You don't have enough hair.

"That match you wanted! With Aaron's friends."

"What? Already? I asked for it yesterday." 

"What did I tell you?" His spastic friend slapped Mr.Editor's shoulder again. "Yuriy's capable. His family is mid-tier but that kid can get you anything you need." 

"Yeah?" Mr.Editor smirked, facing the front again. "Yuriy...," He enunciated the name thoughtfully, "It would've been better to have someone like him on the team." 

I glanced past the people ahead, gladdened at the sight of one of the enormous double doors signifying the Academy's exits.

I zoned out of the upperclassmen's conversation, making a mental checklist of the work I had to go through at home. 

Book review, math assignment, that sheet for bio...oh, can't forget to read the physics textbook. What a hassle.

It wasn't long until the double doors were reached, the editor's animated friend half-holding, half-letting go of the door in front of me as they walked out. 

I delivered a low "thanks" and looked behind me, fully releasing the door when seeing that other students weren't close enough for me to keep it open. 

"Yuriy!" 

The call soared through the open air, catching my attention as I stepped out onto the sidewalk laid along the building. 

A guy with a flaxen man-bun whirled around, raising his hand in greeting. He didn't really have the appearance of a jock; it was more like...someone you'd either see at a high-class tea house or a dank neon nightclub. Strangely enough, his features were equally suitable for both situations. 

Is that Yuriy? He looks a lot younger than most of the people around him. 

He jogged up to meet the approaching duo, exchanging words and laughter and walking with them as they all made their way to the group of dozen-or-so guys standing around in the middle of the grass field. A ball flashed between the gathering as they conversed. 

Oh, it's the soccer bros. 

Their shouts and laughter weren't audible when I finally turned the corner, making my way down the Academy's main avenue. Chattering students filled the pathway, everyone leisurely heading towards the great gates at the end of the day. 

The gate is nearby, and right under the gate is the bike rack, and in the bike rack is my bike, and-

I stilled mid-step, a memory interrupting my train of thought. I cautiously rose on my tiptoes, craning my neck to see as much of the area near the bikes as I could.

Is she there?

Black, brown, and blonde hair of varying hairstyles flickered past the trees, but no red could be detected. 

No red meant she hadn't arrived yet. And if she hadn't arrived yet...

I should leave safely while I still can!

I broke into a determined sprint, ignoring the off-handed looks being thrown my way. 

Sixty feet...fifty feet...

I sidestepped a particularly large gaggle of giggling girls.

Forty feet...thirty....twenty...

My run faltered as I squeezed my way through a packed square of pacing students. 

Fifteen....ten....five...! And...goal!

I grabbed my bike's handlebars to help me stop, a few leaves flying as I skid on the concrete and immediately crouched to grab the lock. My hand floundered indecisively as I raised my briefcase up, then back down, then up, then down again, settling it into my lap before reaching for the lock with both hands.

Quick, quick! 8-3-8-5...

I undid the lock and bundled it up, shooting up and haphazardly stowing it into my bike basket along with the briefcase. Then, with the speed of a startled sparrow (or so I'd like to think), I backed the bike out of its position and jumped on, kicking off the floor and digging into the pedals. 

My timing was spectacular. 

"Shion!"

I passed the last rack when a feminine shout rang out - one that I dutifully ignored. It was repeated with a slight adjustment. 

"Bye, Shion!"

Goodbye, heroine. 

I rode out of the gates, not sparing the blonde and silver lurkers nearby a second glance.

It didn't take long for me to fully relax again, letting a hand dangle after loosening my tie. A car passed by once in a while, causing my skirt to billow at the gust as I rode past walking students. 

My mind eventually ruminated over the day I had, images flitting by like movies - and then, a strange thought popped up.

"Yuriy," I mumbled to myself, much like the buzzcut editor half-an-hour ago. 

Where had I heard that name before?

A/N: Thanksssss for reading and commenting