8

"Read 8:32 AM."

Two minutes ago. So where was the response? He's read them all - the cascade of suggestions that I had sent every few hours each day - but not once has he replied. And possibly worst of all...

He's not here. 

The general noise of the lecture hall was nowhere near the level it was at the day before yesterday. Most pairs had chosen to work at other places, whether it was on campus or off. Some, of course, took the opportunity to keep the grand hall to themselves, working through the tiny desks as they cooperated. 

I'm out of patience. Fine, Bai Yul; you're forcing my hand.

I scrolled through my phone, clicking the green call icon and putting the device up to my ear as my gaze returned to my laptop screen, scanning the group photo. 

The phone rang on and on and on, until the guy's personalized voice message began playing.

I hung up, not waiting a moment longer to click the call icon again. The phone rang with no answer, and I didn't hesitate to repeat my actions. Once, twice, thrice, four times, and then finally, seconds after I had begun the fifth call-

"Hello, Shion." His voice indicated the presence of a smile, but the curt words couldn't hide his irritation. He cleared his throat, the annoyance disappearing quickly as he continued. "So sorry for not responding. It's just, your suggestions are just not quite...how do I say this...attractive? If you just relax and let me take care of the whole thing, I'll make sure everything is-"

I cut him off mid-sentence.

"Meet me before the end of this class with a decision. Choose one of the topics I sent."

"Ah," He paused, then hummed, sucking air through his teeth. "Today? Today is just not possible, you see. I am just so busy - helplessness in life, you know? So-" 

"Bai Yul," I interrupted him again, speaking rapidly but making sure to enunciate clearly, "Meet me today, before the end of class, or consider that job at the Marivik Press as good as gone." 

I didn't wait to listen to his surprise, hitting the red button to end the call. 

I released a breath, relaxing into the plush seat behind me as I nonchalantly set a hand on my laptop. My index finger tapped against the cool surface as I observed the photo once more, my lips quirking up to mirror the mens' expressions. 

"Posted Yesterday at 6:53 PM"

Each one of the soccer bros was smiling, Mr. Editor-in-Chief standing at the center of the group. His right arm hung over his enthusiastic buddy, while his left was over a grinning guy with a man-bun. 

Yuriy works fast. 

Two fingers slid over the touchpad to refresh the page, my lips pursing a tad after seeing no new changes.

A gray rectangle with the word "pending" stood out, another exhale silently leaving me. 

It wasn't completely necessary, but this little detail could have brought me some time - and my impending fib some authenticity. 

Truthfully, I didn't have strong feelings towards this assignment. There were no expectations nor desires to be chosen as a team leader, but becoming a team member was another story. As a team member, I could buy at least a year of time before being forced to choose a future. Not getting on a team had to be on my terms, and my terms were simple: complete the presentation with an adequate amount of work from me and my partner. I begrudgingly respected Bai Yul's slippery tactics, but I wouldn't allow that machine gun to break my chances before we even began.