20

"You're somewhat useless."

"I don't want to hear that from someone who has no sense of social signals."

"What social signals?" Love interest #2's frown was nearly palpable from his voice. "You kicked me!"

"You weren't checking your phone fast enough." I lifted my head from the table as I defended myself. 

His flat mouth parted, his head drawing back in obvious dismay. His words were unchanged, but his tone was even more indignant. "You! Kicked me!"

"It was a gentle kick! Call it a kick of care. A matchmaking kick." Seeing that he was still very dissatisfied, I decided to ask a question. "What, haven't you ever had to get your friend's attention in a group situation? Subtly!" I clarified.

Yohan seemed to think about it, crossing his arms. Countless seconds passed.

"Not really," he finally answered.

I speechlessly watched him; he flatly returned my gaze. 

When did I decide to lose my mind and actually associate with this eccentric?

"Even with Augustus?" I sputtered out.

"We understand each other rather well. I don't have to kick him."

"What about other friends, then?" I ignored his undertone of accusation.

"I've never needed to covertly speak to other friends in group situations."

...I've never needed to reflect on my life choices more than now.  

I let my head rest back on the glass table in defeat. The low buzzing of the office lights overhead filled in the momentary quiet between us. I heard Yohan shift.

"Next time you need to tell me something important though...twirl your ring."

"What if you don't notice?"

"I'll notice. I'll look at you more."

Apparently he was already living up to his words, so the guy inevitably saw the strange expression I gave him. 

What a weird thing to say.

The buzzing lights occupied the air again, but the wordlessness wasn't particularly uncomfortable.

Yohan was staring at something off to the side, and as I examined the darkening window at the far wall behind him, a feeling that I could only classify as a whim came over me.

"The team flyers..." 

His mask glinted as he glanced at me, and the whim ended as abruptly as it had come, the succeeding words trailing off into nothing. 

I mutely stared at him. He met my eyes.

What are you doing, Shion? This is Yohan, the dazzling #2. All this guy lacks is luck with the loveline. Who am I to teach a main character like him?

Love interest #2 folded his arms across his chest, the movement finally prompting me to lower my head back onto my arms. 

"Nevermind." 

Our conversation stopped there, the air a little less comfortable than earlier. To my happiness I didn't have to suffer for too long. 

Clacking footsteps echoed out in the hallway, the door pushing inward moments later. 

The villainess catwalked her way to her seat, barely sparing either of us a glance as she set down her briefcase and pulled out her phone. 

The next member came in minutes later, his golden-rimmed glasses matching his flaxen tie. 

He shot me a smiling nod, taking the chair at my left. 

My brows raised. I narrowly convinced him that I hadn't told Yuriy anything the day after that blowup, but our relationship ended there; we've only given each other half-hearted greetings, at best. 

What's up with the smile?

As usual, Bai Yul couldn't prolong the silence. His speech was much more emphatic than usual, though.

"You three are here before me again. The snake is late, as always." He released a long, reverberating sigh, leaning back. "Another day of sitting around for an hour and then leaving. Don't you get bored? I get bored." He slowly twirled his chair, the thing giving out a high-pitched creak. He eventually faced me, raising his arms and slightly waving them. "Aren't you bored, Shion?"

"You're in a good mood," I categorically observed.

"Of course! You know why?" He lurched forward, his parted hair jerking. "I'll tell you why: I'm finally getting back at that piece of shit. I-"

A familiar laugh from outside cut him off, Bai Yul immediately whirling towards the door. It swung open moments later, the sly guy turned sideways, his back against the door. 

"Yuriy!" Bai Yul stood up. His shout caught the manbun's attention, his smiling countenance darkening. "You fucking sna-!" 

A young woman with a pixie cut appeared at the doorway, loudly chewing her gum and examining us with skepticism. I practically saw Bai Yul swallow his ensuing onslaught, the guy choking on his words and devolving into a coughing fit.

He wasn't the only one surprised; I think everyone who didn't already have perfect posture had straightened their spines at the sudden visitor (so, maybe just me).

Another brief beat of silence. 

Bai Yul lifted a shaking hand, pointing and stuttering at the sly guy, who had by now regained control over his expression. 

"Yuriy! You, you...fucking...You fucking snail!" He pushed up his glasses, a stupid nervous laugh splicing his words. "Yeah, a snail, you know? You know?" He gestured at the stranger, who crossed her arms. "Because he's late all the time. All the time!" Another laugh. "Fucking snail!"

A harsh cough left me, my hands slapping over my mouth. 

I quickly faced away, desperately covering my face to suppress my laughter. 

A snail! A! Snail!

I peeked around the table. Milana's eyes were wide, flickering between Bai Yul and the doorway. Yohan, meanwhile, had a relaxed hand positioned over his lips and chin. 

I took a few deep breaths, maintaining an illusion of composure as my fingers trilled against the table. Yohan's glance landed on me. I looked away for good measure.

His eyes slid back to the situation at hand, my shoulders jumped again in quiet laughter. With Bai Yul's chuckling stammer and Yuriy's silence, it was getting more and more ridiculous with every second.

Love interest #2 pushed his chair back, standing up and stepping around the table towards the bumbling guy. The latter trailed off when Yohan gave two swift smacks to his arm; his stiff smile relaxed a degree as he plopped down into his chair. 

"What's going on?" A distant voice sounded, an unknown guy peering over the girl's shoulder. Numerous footsteps indicated the presence of even more people standing around outside. 

A sudden group of strangers was interesting, but I couldn't help but inch towards Bai Yul, sneaking a whisper past my humor. 

"I thought you were a good speaker."

He briefly glanced up at me, then raised his brows as he resumed cleaning his glasses.

"I am. That wordplay was a stroke of genius." His cloth paused on a lense. "It was hard as hell to switch my train of thought like that."

"Come in. Sorry about that." Yohan gestured, welcoming the group. 

Pixie cut girl at the front gave Yuriy a look, popping a bubble with her gum, but came in nonetheless. 

"What's going on?" 

The rough question bouncing along just outside the door could only be asked by our invariably late Mr. Supervisor. 

A/N: Mmmmmmmmmmm how's the pacing?