14

My eyes lethargically followed the little white arrow on the screen, tracking it move in uneven circles. The circles stopped, landing on letters. 

World Literature...

I unconsciously stiffened, now glaring at the little white arrow.

Definitely not! Why did you stop there? Stupid thing!

I abruptly shut the laptop, staring at it for a few moments more. My shoulders then dropped, my body leaning onto the back of my chair. I eventually let my arms fall, feeling more and more like a puddle with every passing moment as my fingers loosened my already-slackened tie for the hundredth time. 

The phone on the table lit up, and after a second of pause I grabbed it in curiosity.

"Let's call later! So much happened!!!!"

I read the response to the text I sent an hour ago.

Did it? Her school should have started at the same time as mine. How much could have happened in two weeks?

I typed a quick reply, setting my phone back on the wooden table; my glance caught the laptop once again, noticing the sun's orange light reflecting off its logo. My head turned to look out of the library's expansive window, observing the forest just outside.

It'll be dark soon. The future can wait.

***

I rounded the corner and promptly proceeded to stumble, my arms flailing a bit as I regained my balance. 

Should I go back? He hasn't noticed me yet! 

The sunset glinted off of the silver mask at the end of the corridor, the man looking down out of a window. 

But the staircase is right there. If I walk quietly, he might not see me. 

I took a single slow step before stopping. Seconds passed; a wave of disappointed embarrassment washed over me, my brows dropping.

Why am I acting like this? He's not Elinka. I'd probably be lucky if I got a single nod from the monotonous guy. 

My posture straightened, my briefcase switching hands as I began to walk normally once again. The sun intermittently hit my face, briefly hiding when I passed a wall and happily reappearing when I passed glass. I couldn't help but take a couple more glances at love interest #2 as I strolled, and my head eventually angled right, my chin lifting to get a better look out the window.

What's he looking at?

Green trees in the distance, an extensive field, a throng of people, bleachers, a spot of red-

Oh, hello.

I had successfully avoided the heroine for the rest of the week, but, of course, that didn't mean that I could avoid seeing the girl herself. Naturally this included lowkey in-game events. The little seed of discomfort in my heart sprouted at that realization, although the weight of all my philosophizing these past few years stomped it back into submission.

Bright blonde ran up to dazzling red, the two seemingly exchanging words and smiles before some other hair color interrupted their conversation. 

My eyes strayed away in disinterest, skillfully avoiding the silver mask nearby as they trained on the staircase at my left. It took a couple more footsteps to reach it, and just when a single shoe descended onto the first stair-

"Stop."

I grabbed the rail to stop my momentum, a second shoe stumbling onto the second stair.

Me?