17

There was a stiff pause.

"Ah," whoever had just entered finally made some kind of noise, "I thought I entered room 3? Am I in the right room?" Their shoes squeaked against the floor as the door clicked open, the person seemingly checking the number again. 

My head tilted in thought; a vague familiarity tugged on my mind.

I think I heard this voice before.

"Yuriy Itov?" The mystery supervisor interrupted Bai Yul's impending anger, revealing himself to be a middle-aged man as he heavily turned and draped himself over the back of the couch. His countenance looked...rough, in all the most literal meanings the word could have: sharp cheekbones, blunt chin, coarse skin, straight features. I couldn't find a hint of softness no matter how much I searched. 

Yuriy? I really recognized his voice? I didn't hear him speak much that time I saw him, though.

Only then did I tentatively turn my head, examining the newest stranger. Sure enough, a recognizable visage graced my vision, the manbun-wearing guy carrying a slight grin. It lost to Augustus's perfect smile, though; where the golden boy showed charm, Yuriy showed slyness. 

"Yes, that's me. Thanks for letting me join last-minute, Supervisor Ingram." Yuriy took a few quick steps forward, stretching a hand out towards the man on the couch. 

Supervisor Ingram looked at it for a moment, barely glancing up at Yuriy before slowly angling away, heaving a reverberating sigh and pushing himself up off the couch. 

"I didn't do it for you. Whether the team leader kicks you out later or not is on you."

"I'm aware."

Yuriy's untouched hand casually returned to his side, but not a hint of awkwardness could be seen on his face. The sly guy's small grin didn't wane, either.

We silently watched Mr. Supervisor rise to his moderate height, half-heartedly dusting his wrinkled white lab coat with a single swipe. 

He should be giving his formal introduction now.

"Right, well, I'm sure you all got the email. You know who I am." The man's pale eyes darted across us. He then gave a weak shrug and a nod, making his way towards the door. "I'll be back for your next meeting."

The door clicked shut behind him, his footsteps echoing across the corridor outside and fading away. The room plunged back into silence.  

I was too surprised to even comment internally.

Bai Yul seemed to awaken first, jerking forward in his seat, "Yuri-!"

Yuriy easily cut him off.

"Yohan Irwan, hello. I'm honored to be on your team! We're the green team, I believe - it's a great color!"

Oh, I finally learned my team's color. Green...That's not a primary color.

I frowned at the sudden thought. 

Since when have I been interested in color theory?

I couldn't help it when my eyes slid towards Yuriy. 

The recently reanimated scritching briefly stopped, Yohan's pen stilling. 

"Is that so?"

"Of course!" Yuriy bent his knees, leaning a bit closer to the masked guy. "You're quite popular, as I'm sure you're aware."

His smile was unchanged, his expression eager; his mannerisms were convincing

Is that why his voice is familiar?