11

It turned out that only the masked eccentric and the villainess had the pleasure of presenting today. Elinka and Augustus weren't called up, and neither were I and Bai Yul. 

Yohan and Milana had presented well, of course. So well that I was pretty sure that either one or both of them would be chosen as team leaders. Freyda hadn't interrupted much, dutifully taking down notes every few minutes. 

No one seemed to mind the black-haired boy's mask, the silver surface glimmering with every self-assured movement. His words flowed smoothly and calmly; they reminded me of a lean creak flowing steadily and noiselessly through a vibrant forest. The villainess was rather exceptional herself, although she hadn't only demonstrated her abilities - she also displayed her admirable fashion sense. She exchanged her necktie with a fancy bowtie, numerous curled satin layers cascading around an emerald gemstone. It was matched with a similar stone shining brightly between her onyx hair, as well as a delicate bracelet hanging off her wrist.

The uniform really is a tragedy. I wonder what she would have worn instead. 

"Are you worried?"

"Hm?" My ruminations were interrupted my Elinka's sudden question, forcing me to turn towards her as students around us loudly packed up their bags at the end of class. 

"About tomorrow's presentation!" The redhead showed off her dimples with a bright, questioning smile, briefcase in hand as she stood up. 

"Oh," I mirrored her actions, focusing on her inquiry as I straightened out my skirt, "Yes, well, somewhat. I won't be the one talking tomorrow."

She walked to my side as we slowly trodded out of the row, making our way to the crowded double doors. 

"Really? Then your partner must be anxious!"

I shrugged, ignoring the occasional shoulder bumps of passing students and stepping out into the hallway. "He's a good speaker." 

The heroine made a sound of understanding, speaking after looking up in thought.

"Although, during class I heard Augustus mumble something about the blessings of terrible partners." 

"What? Why?" My confusion was obvious. 

"Because," a clear monotone sounded behind us, my head half-turning only to see someone mildly unpleasant, "The worse your partner is, the better you appear in comparison. Not only would this boost your chances of becoming a team leader, but it increases the likelihood of other students choosing you to be on their team." 

Yohan looked down at the protagonist, his hand flitting up to lightly fix his mask as the girl seemed to consider his answer. 

"That sounds...sneaky," She finally commented. 

"Yes, but sneakiness is a useful trait that can be respected, in my eyes. Should I walk you to your next class?" 

My brows raised at his sudden suggestion. 

Brave! Although, your eagerness has been exposed. And...

An arm casually curled around Yohan's shoulders, the gesture accompanied by a confident laugh as the prince suddenly appeared. 

...You have bad luck with timing, Yohan. 

The blonde placed himself right between the eccentric and the heroine. 

"You don't have to do that, Yohan." The golden boy's blue eyes bore into his friend. "Elinka's next class is math, and yours is biology. That's in the complete opposite direction. I can walk her, since she and I both have the same class."