Part 4

"What?!" Both Evangeline and Griffin yelled at the old women in charge of the check-in desk of the dormitory lobby. They had just asked the wrinkly old hag if Evangeline could switch rooms.

"Can't you hear me? I fought my hearing was old. I said there was no mistake. This college assigned both of you a room together. Jeez! Now get to class or whatever." The women said, stapling papers together so slow like she was a sloth.

"There has to be a mistake or someone put us up to it. A girl and boy can not dorm together! It's against the rules! Could you call my mom?"

Griffin pressed.

Evangeline and Griffin had woken up at 6:00 and were eager to get away from each other.

Evangeline had dressed in a baggy light blue sweatshirt that had Spring Gardens Unvirtay on the front in white block letters. She also had on matching pants but stylish brown sandals that surprisingly went with Evangeline's outfit. Her charcoal black hair was in a slick ponytail today.

Usually, Evangeline put contacts in but today she showed off her black glasses proudly.

"Kid I don't know who your mommy is, so get." The woman said to Griffin. Griffin finally noticed that this old cranky woman had a name tag.

"Lisa, my mom is the headmaster of this college here. So if you could ever so kindly pick up that telephone you have on your desk and call her from her office then we will get out of your hair." Griffin said, clearly trying to sound cool, calm, and collected but Evangeline noticed that Griffin was about to blow if this old woman in front of them, Lisa, said anything else snarky.

"Yeah, yeah." The old granny said, mumbling about how kids were these days. She dialed the headmaster.

"Hello, yeah this is Lisa calling from the dormitory lobby." the woman said, leaning back into her cushioned chair. A woman's voice on the other end of the phone sounded crisp but harsh and stern.

"I have your son here and he thinks there's a mistake with the dorm he got, yeah I'll put him on the phone." The woman said, bored and handed Griffin the telephone.

Griffin pushed his wavy brown hair out of his eyes and took the phone to his ear.

"Hi mom, there's been a mistake. I've been roomed with a girl. It's strictly against the college rules! A boy and a boy share a dorm and a girl and a girl share a dorm. Is there any way this girl can move out and I can share a room with a boy?" Griffin asked his mom on the other side of the phone.

He really wants me gone, doesn't he? Evangeline asked, trying to look nonchalant and smiling at students who passed her to exit the lobby.

The headmaster was talking a lot on the other side of the phone.

"I'm sorry, what? This can't be true, mom. Wait-" Griffin looked frustrated and handed the phone back to Lisa behind the check-out counter.

"Well, what did she say?" Evangeline prompted.

"She said there's no way for you to move out. That everyone's equally been assigned the same sex as them except for us. That means...... your rooming with me, permanently." Griffin said walking to the exit doors and pushing it open.

"It sounded like your mom said a lot more but whatever," Evangeline said running to keep up with Griffin as he strode out into the sunshine.

"I've just been permanently assigned a dorm room with you and you're worried about how much the headmaster said," Griffin said matter of factly, walking faster now.

"It's not that bad. Right? Am I really that bad?" Evangeline said voice straining and touching Griffin's muscular arm to stop him.

"Evie, Uh- no it's just...I don't know let's just go and eat breakfast and start our first day of college normal, okay? I'm starving anyway." Griffin said, not meeting Evangeline's gaze and rushing to the cafeteria that was just across the lawn.

Evangeline had the feeling that something was off with Griffin. She couldn't put her finger on it but she knew it was something.