Part 9

The next day was a tough one for Evangeline.

All night she dreamed of Griffin. Griffin's mood swings, his mother, and how he had asked the day before for Evangeline's story's. It was all very weird. And how she had had an unexpected call from his dad, telling her about these people who were breaking in and burning down places her parents were staying.

Durning science class today, they were taking notes on different wildlife that lived in the desert.

Mr. Gllows was saying something about how surprisingly it was very hot in the dry desert that there was a fair amount of animals living in the environment.

Evangeline wasn't listening because she was distracted by trying not to look back at Griffin as he glanced every once in a while at her, again.

Evangeline could hear her heels clicking in the hallway before she even arrived or opened the science class door.

"Can I speak with Griffin for a moment, Mr. Gallows." Mrs. Channing said in her unnatural voice that made Evangeline wonder if she ever just let loose and laughed or talked slag.

After all, a principal of any school isn't supposed to be uptight all the time. Otherwise, they would get fired.

Right? Evangeline thought.

As usual, Griffin would get up from his chair and act like he was sulking over to his mom but really he was just acting.

Evangeline knew better.

There were planing something and no matter what anyone said, Evangeline was going to hold on to the little sliver of hope she had blooming inside her because, for some reason, she believed what Jennifer said the other night in the hospital. She didn't know how or even asked how Jennifer knew that griffin was somehow dangerous but Evangeline believed her.

So when Griffin came back to the classroom and science class ended for the day, Evangeline had new and an even brighter hope flourishing in her.

But that was way before Griffin asked Evangeline on a date.

"Why?" Evangeline asked Griffin when they were getting ready to go to bed one evening.

"I was just thinking, maybe I could get to know you a little bit more. And It can be fun!" Griffin said.

"It feels like we're in high school again. Going on blind dates and parties and dances. So sure, why not." Evangeline said. She had the nagging feeling that Griffin was going ot do something.. big on their date. She held on to that.

So the next week on a Wednesday, as planned, Griffin and Evangeline went out on their date.

It was at a fancy Italian restaurant down the street from their dorm.

Evangeline was dressed in a cute little teal dress and Griffin wore a suit and tie.

"Why did you dress up so much!" Evangeline asked, Griffin as he held the restaurant door open for her.

"I can't look nice for a date with you?! I can only be the tough boy who works out every day?" Griffin said, sarcastically.

The smell hit both of them and almost knocked them off their feet.

Amazing! Evangeline thought as they took a booth by the door.

Later that night after Griffin and Evangeline had filled up on lasagna and spaghetti, Griffin had found a bench outside for both of them to sit on and talk for a minute.

"That was a big plate of lasagna they gave you, Evie." Griffin chuckled.

"Yeah, at first I thought it was my birthday!"

Both of them laughed like it was the funniest thing in the world.

"Hey, guys! I didn't expect to see you here!" A voice said behind Griffin and Evangeline.

Evangeline turned around and was shocked to see her best friend, Jennifer.

"Jen! Same here. I thought they had to keep you at the hospital for a while." Evangeline said.

"Well, they let me go. Or really the headmaster did." Jennifer said, sitting next to Evangeline who was in the middle.

"Evie, there's something I've been meaning to tell you.." Griffin said.

Evangeline had that sinking feeling again but she was ready.

"I've been lying to you, Evie. My mom and I have been going behind your back and doing some stuff. We all have."

"I'm confused, Griffin, what do you mean by 'we all have'?" Evangeline twirled to her best friend but Jennifer was looking at her hands.

"Jennifer?"

"Sorry, Evie," Jennifer said as she pulled a taser from her pocket.

"Wait! No!" But Jennifer and already stabbed the taser into Evangeline's side.

She blacked out.