Part 8

"Dad?"

"Oh, my dear Evie! So nice to hear your voice! How is-'' Mr. Stargust burst into coughs and it sounded like he was about to die coughing.

"Dad, are you okay? Where's mom? Is everything alright?" Evangeline asked frantically.

"Evangeline answer my question first, please. As I was saying, how is life at the famous and fabulous Spring Gardens University?"

"Yeah, it's great! I'm learning a lot and making tons and I mean tons of friends!"

"Evie?"

"No really, I've made some friends and I've learned a lot," Evangeline said, pressing her phone to her ear so she could hold a rotting map.

"May I ask why you are calling me now? I'm on my way to the university's hospital to visit some friends."

"I should ask who these friends are but I want to cut to the case." There was a long pause on the other end of the phone and Evangeline wondered if her dad had hung up.

"There have been these late-night robberies, in the house your mom and I are staying." Mr. Stargust said.

"Oh, my gosh dad?! Did you call the police or something! And I'm assuming by the way you said 'in the house, your mom and I are staying' that you're not at home. The home I grew up in." Evangeline asked.

"No, we are not, sadly. These burglars burnt down that home."

"Dad, this isn't funny anymore. You need to tell someone besides me and mom. I don't want this family to get hurt." Evangeline said and stopped walking.

"And we won't, Evie. I just.. wanted to warn you in case you were to see them... At college."

"Papa, your not making any sense. Papa? Can you hear me?" But the line got cut off and Evangeline was left with ringing in her ears.

Evangeline pished the conversation she had just listened to out of her mind and focused on the task at hand.

She needed to get to the hospital.

To visit her best friend.

"Jennifer, can you hear me?" Evangeline asked her best friend.

"Evie, I'm not dead or unconscious. I just was daydreaming at breakfast." Jennifer said, propping up her pillows behind her on the white hospital bed.

"It's okay, Jen. The nurse, I think her name was nurse Carol, she told me you have a condition called a multiple personality disorder. Are you alright?"

Jennifer gulped, down air. She flipped her wavy black hair over her shoulder then turned her stunning green eyes on Evangeline.

"Like I said before, Evie. I'm fine. And yes I already know what you're about to aks next, that's why I stopped talking to you. I found right then and there I had this stupid disorder." Jennifer said, looking away.

"So hows, the glamorous life here at Spring Gardens University? They locked me away here since I act out of control sometimes."

"Well, it's okay. But something weird did happen. I'm stuck with a boy as a roommate and the headmaster here, apparently, his mom is setting me and him up to get married! Can you believe that! His name is, Griffin Channing. Eve heard of him?" Evangeline asked her friend, sitting next to Jennifer.

Suddenly, Jennifer's eyes got as big as saucers.

Evangeline eyes got big too but cocked a brow.

"What?" Evangeline questioned.

Just then, Jennifer grabbed her friend's hand and held tight.

"Listen to every word that's about to come out of my mouth. Don't trust anything Griffin says. Don't let him borrow your things. Better yet, don't even talk to him. That guy is a fake and so is his mother." Jennifer said, panicked.

"How would you know, Jen? And I have to talk to him, he's my roommate remember!" Evangeline said and pulled her hand away from Jennifer's.

A second later, one of the nurses coming out from a side door and speed walking over to where Evangeline was sitting with Jennifer.

"Honey, visiting hours are over. Come back and see this patient tomorrow." The lady said as she checked Jennifer's water bag.

The nurse was shooing Evangeline out now so it made her turn around but not before she saw Jennifer mouth 'Be careful' to Evangeline.