Chapter 34

Rowan squeezes her eyes shut, the light is shining right into her face. Not fun. She rolls over into wonderful, soothing darkness. Her eyelids relax. Then she sniffs the air. Why does it smell like blackberry muffins? There is a soft rap on her door before Rowan can hear it open with the barest bit of noise. It closes again just as quickly, but Rowan is already stirring. She wants those muffins!

She throws the covers off of herself and slides her feet down the bed to the floor. She pads over to the door and pulls it open. Noise is coming from the kitchen, the chatter of voices and the clinking of dishes. Rowan rubs her eyes and walks down the hallway. When she steps into the kitchen, her family falls into silence. Rowan squints at her mother and grandmother.

"Hi."

Arwen smiles. "Good morning, Rowan. Sleep well?"

Rowan nods. "Yes, but why didn't you wake me?"

She laughs. "The muffins just came out of the oven, silly! And you looked so comfy that I didn't want to wake you. Besides, you're out here, aren't you?"

Rowan grimaces and moves to the counter, grabbing a plate from one of the cabinets. The takes two muffins from the tin and moves to the table. She slices them in half with a knife and spreads a thin, even layer of butter over the halves. Then she plucks one from her plate and bites into it, her teeth sinking right through one of the purple-blue patches of berry juice. Rowan makes a sound of delight at the taste, blackberry muffins are always delicious.

\She devours them quickly before she stands up from the table, darting to the water closet to tidy herself up. Her hair isn't that much of a mess, the snarls will come out easily when she brushes it. They do, sliding out smoothly from their knots. When Rowan is done in the water closet, she heads back to her own room. The strap of her bag is slung over one of the bedposts and she picks it up, placing the strap over her shoulder.

She turns towards the door only to see her mother blocking it, her chestnut hair unbound for once. Rowan hadn't noticed it before, but she sees it now. Her mother never leaves her hair down, it's never been untied in Rowan's entire life. Well, with the exception of when her mother is asleep. She unties it before bed. But she always has it up during the day. So why does she have it down now?

"And where are you going?"

Rowan just gapes at her, blinking in confusion. "Mum? Your hair is down."

Arwen glances at the inky tendrils spilling over her shoulders. "So it is."

"Why?"

"Do I have to have a reason?"

Rowan hesitates. "Well, yes." Arwen raises an eyebrow and Rowan rushes to explain. "You have never left your hair down during the day. It's not like you. That means you have a reason for leaving it down. So, what reason do you have?"

Arwen shrugs. "I just wanted to leave it down today. So where are you going?"

"To the forest!"

Arwen's eyebrow raises again, it has only just gone down. "I don't think so. You have lessons."

Rowan grimaces. "But Mum! It's the forest!"

"And you have lessons. The forest can wait. It isn't going anywhere."

"Neither are my lessons!"

Arwen gives her a piercing look, causing Rowan to wince. "Come on. The sooner you get your lessons down, the sooner you can go to your beloved forest." Rowan groans. "Why can't I just go out now?"

"If you wanted to go to the forest before your lessons, you should have woken earlier."

Rowan grimaces. "It isn't my fault that I slept in!"

"Whose is it then?"

Rowan opens her mouth, but then she closes it again. She can't tell her mother about everything with the Seelie Lord, it will just worry her. She looks down at the ground instead. Rowan sighs.

"Fine. Will the lessons be quick?"

Arwen grins. "That's up to you and how well you concentrate. Come on."

Arwen steps out of the room, leaving the door open behind her. Rowan steps over to the bed and places her bag on top of her bedspread, smoothing down the green material. She takes a glance outside her window, but then she freezes. There is a flash of gold from the distant trees, gleaming in the sun. Rowan steps over to the window and opens it wide, letting the wind sweep in. Her hair glimmers in the sun, looking like flickers of flame. The gold spot moves, drawing back into the forest. Rowan squints, trying to make it out before it disappears entirely. A curved shape, with a bit of fork to it. An antler? No, it's too small. And antlers aren't gold. Then she gulps. The faerie from the forest, perhaps? But why would he be here? There is a rap on her door and her mother pokes her head back into the room.

"Rowan? Your lessons are waiting."

Rowan glances between her mother and the forest outside the window. She sighs. "I'm coming, Mum." She takes another glance out the window before she follows her mother out of the room.
________________________________________________________________________________
Why do you think Arwen's hair was down? Did you like Rowan's banter with her mother? Did she see the horned faerie? If she did, why do you think he was there? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.