Chapter 49

The opening is the beginning of a dark tunnel, and it darkens further when the rock closes behind them. The only light that remains in the tunnel is the light from the small creature's head. Rowan wraps one of her arms around herself and reaches into her pocket with the other to touch the waterlogged bag of salt and the iron cuff. The nails clink against it, poking into her skin. One jabs her and she withdraws her hand with a hiss.

Blood isn't beading up on her skin, but there is a purple-red dot on the pad of her finger. The tunnel lightens ahead of them and the small creature darts forward, picking up in speed. Rowan blinks when they emerge, surprised. There is a city hidden beneath the loch. It is made of a strange substance, silver metal with a hint of green to it. It has grand towers that spiral up to meet them and small buildings scattered beneath them.

At the edge of the city is what looks like an underwater river. But how can there be a river underwater? It just isn't possible! Yet it flows and moves, curving around the city. Creatures like the ones beside Rowan are swimming around the city, up the towers, around them, weaving in-between the buildings far below. They're everywhere. Rowan glances at her two companions.

"Where are we?"

The larger one answers, its voice short. "Home."

Rowan sighs. "Can you give me more information than that?"

The creature doesn't answer but points down. More creatures are rising up from the city to meet the trio at the tunnel opening. As they get closer, Rowan is surprised to see that they look more like humans than the creatures beside her. Are they a different type of Aos Sí, perhaps? They have tails like a typical mermaid, and they appear to be human from the waist up, for the most part. However, their hair is a dark teal and their ears look like wide fins, for the most part. The leader stops in front of Rowan.

When she speaks, her voice is chiming. Not exactly musical, but something similar. "Welcome to our city."

"Who are you?"

The woman smiles. "We are the finfolk. Some of our children brought you to us." She looks over at the two creatures - finfolk - beside Rowan. "Thank you, Ùna. Thank you, Ailig. You may go now."

They nod and dart down towards the city, tails flicking behind them. Rowan frowns. "They're finfolk too?"

The finfolk woman laughs. "Oh, yes. I forgot that your human stories would not speak of this. At the beginning of our lives, we look like little Ùna does. As we age, we begin to resemble humans more and more. When we stop growing, we appear as I am now. My name is Sìle. What is yours?"

"Ro."

She raises an eyebrow. "Really? That does not seem to be the whole truth to me. But no matter, I know the power names may have and I do not require your true name from you if you do not wish to give it."

Rowan's mouth twitches up into a smile but it falls away again a moment later. "Why have you brought me here?"

"Because I needed to speak to you, Child of Two Peoples."

Rowan blinks. "Why did you call me that?"

"Because that is who you are. You may not understand it yet, but that doesn't change your core."

Rowan shakes her head, confused. She changes tactics. "How did I get here? Not to the city, I mean. The loch. How did I get to the loch?"

Sìle tilts her head. "You were in the A 'mhuir eadar rìoghachdan. It best translates to the Sea Between the Realms in your tongue."

"I know what it means. I understand the language. I don't know how yet, but I understand it."

Sìle's eyes brighten with delight. "You understand it?" Rowan nods. "That is the truth of your heritage. It is the language of our peoples and all peoples of the Aos Sì."

"Why that language? Why Scottish Gaelic?"

"Because we came to being here, in the country you called Scotland. We spoke the language of the humans there then, and it is still our language now, although you have forgotten it."

"Not all humans. It may be dying in the human world but people are trying to keep it alive."

Sìle nods. "Come, Child of Two Peoples. We have much to discuss."

She angles down and Rowan frowns. "Wait! You never answered my question! How did I get to the loch?"

Sìle just grins. "The answers will come in time, child. Come."

Rowan sighs and follows Sìle down towards the city. They skim along the tip of one of the towers and Rowan reaches down to touch it. The point is slick, slippery. If she tried to grab it she would never be able to keep it in her hands. Sìle angles further, pointing herself straight down. She shoots down the side of the tower, her tail flicking behind her. Rowan hesitates, unsure of how to follow. One of Sìle's companions nudges her.

His voice is gruff. "Go."

"How?"

"Just swim."

Rowan sighs and tries her best, although she is far slower than Sìle.
________________________________________________________________________________
What do you think of the finfolk? Why do you think they want to talk to Rowan? What do you think is going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Here are some pictures of the finfolk for you guys! What do you think?

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.