Chapter 69

When they reach the top, Camden is pacing along the border of iron. He steps forward when he catches sight of them, his eyes widening at the sight of his brother. Andrian is barely managing to stay upright, Rowan is practically carrying him at this point. When she reaches the barrier, she kicks the nails aside. Camden steps through and pulls his brother up. He looks to Rowan.

"It'll be easier to get him out of here if I'm in horse form. I can carry both of you."

Rowan nods and helps Andrian over to Camden. Once Camden has shifted, she climbs onto his back. Camden looks back at Rowan and she gives him another nod, reaching around Andrian to grip his mane. Camden starts to pick his way through the maze of rooms which amazingly actually appear to accommodate a horse walking among them.

Rowan doesn't know how long they've been trying to find their way out when Camden looks back at her, worry in his eyes. I don't know the path out. Rowan reaches into her bag for a runestone. Instead of using the guide rune, she uses the path rune. The runes are similar, but not as much so as they seem. The path rune can only guide you down an already existing path, but the guide rune can lead anywhere and it will show you how to get around obstacles.

Both have their uses and here they need the path rune. It appears on the surface of the runestone and a tendril of light spears out from it, curving from one room to the next. Camden follows it without question, but Rowan keeps an eye on their surroundings. She thinks the rune will work the way she wants it to, but she's never used it before. And some of the rooms it is leading them through don't look familiar.

Ahead of them, Rowan can see an empty room. It's the one they came through the first time. Camden can see it too, his pace picks up. He hesitates before he steps forward into the stone, despite the fact that they went through it on the way in. It's just strange, walking through something that seems solid. Rowan glances at Andrian. His head is hanging down to his chest. He's either so exhausted that he can't keep his head upright or he's passed out. Rowan nudges him.

"Andrian?" He doesn't move. Rowan gulps and leans forward. "Camden, I think he passed out."

Camden looks back at his brother and Rowan. After a moment, he picks up his pace. He is in a canter now, making his way towards the river. Rowan looks around at the trees. They aren't familiar to her, this isn't part of the forest she's used to. She looks up at the sky through the trees and almost cries out in shock. It's been hours since they left the river! Her mother and grandmother must be worried sick, she wasn't meant to be gone that long.

The sound of water reaches them and Rowan sits up. They're almost to the river. Camden fords straight into it, not even checking his pace for a moment. On the other side, he doesn't stop. He clambers up the slope and spears for one of the clearings further back in the pocket realm. He's going for Aoife's house. Rowan slides off before he can shift at the door and knocks. The door swings open and Aoife pokes her head out. She frowns at Rowan.

"You again? Why do you keep needing healing? What are you doing out there?"

Rowan flushes. "Sorry."

Aoife waves her hand. "No matter, no matter. What's wrong this time?"

Rowan looks back at Camden, who is holding Andrian upright. Andrian's head is lolling onto his brother's shoulder and he is still pale. He might actually be looking worse than he did before. Aoife's gaze follows Rowan's and she clicks her tongue in alarm, motioning to Camden.

"Bring him in, boy!" Aoife turns to Rowan once Andrian is settled on the couch. "While I get supplies, why don't you tell me what happened to him?"

"The Seelie Lord took him and-"

"Why would that horrible man take Andrian?"

"To get to me."

Aoife freezes in the middle of pulling a cloth down off one of the shelves in the back of the room. "Why would he want to get to you?"

Rowan shifts on her feet. "He's my great-grandfather."

"Oh. What did he do to the poor boy then?"

"When I found him, there was this manacle around his wrist. It was made of iron but when I touched it, it also made me feel sick. Dizzy. There was something coating the metal."

Aoife scowls. "I know what it was. It's an Aos Sí toxin, only available to the courts. It's a horrible thing to use, it saps all your inherent magic away from you."

Rowan's eyes widen in alarm. "Will he be okay?"

"That depends on how long he was exposed to it and how well the healing works. It will be difficult."

Rowan frowns. "Could a healing rune help?"

Aoife's twists around to look at Rowan. "You can use runes?"

"Yes. I'm still learning different ways to use them, but I know the different runes at least. Will a healing rune help him?"

"Yes. The combination of a healing rune and my own healing magic should fix him right up." She looks at Camden. "You might want to step outside for this. It won't be a pleasant healing."

Camden looks torn between wanting to stay with his brother and wanting to follow Aoife's advice. Rowan gives him a small smile.

"He'll be alright. I'll stay with him."

Camden nods and slips out the door.
________________________________________________________________________________
Do you think the healing rune will work? Will they successfully heal Andrian? What do you think Aoife means when she says it won't be a pleasant healing? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.