Chapter 63

When she makes it through the passage and into the pocket realm, it seems to take far more of her energy than it should to swim for the shore. She collapses at the edge of the riverbank, exhausted. She is sitting up to her waist in water, but she doesn't have enough energy to move. Besides, the enchantment is leaving her dry at the moment, so why bother? She blinks, her vision fuzzy. Rowan shakes her head and focuses on the river.

It ripples with silver light, sunlight flashing over the water. The enchantment drops away and Rowan's clothing gets drenched. She manages to pull her bag out of the reach of the water before it can get wet, but she's too tired to move herself. There are some sounds from behind her, higher up. From the village. She glances back for a moment and sees two kelpies in their horse forms. She looks back at the river. A moment later, someone places their hands on her shoulders.

"Ro? Are you alright?"

She doesn't respond, choosing to continue staring out at the river instead. Their grip tightens and they pull her upward. Her feet stumble over the ground, but she does start moving. Her brain focuses just enough that she can see that the kelpie holding her is Camden, Andrian's brother. Cáel is beside him, glancing at her every so often with worry. Rowan's foot hits a rock and she tumbles to the ground. Camden sighs and leans down, helping her back up again.

"Can you just hold on?"

She nods after a moment and Camden shifts. Rowan clutches his mane in her hands. She sways from side to side as he makes his way up the slope of the bank, but she doesn't fall. In what seems like the time between one blink and the next, they reach the house Andrian shares with his brothers.

Camden shifts at the doorway and helps Rowan inside, lifting her up and over the steps. If she was more aware, she would thank him, but her brain is too fuzzy to think of that. He deposits her in front of one of the armchairs and she sinks into it without a sound. Cáel takes the chair beside hers and Camden sits across from her. He leans forward.

"What happened to you, Ro?"

Her words are slow. They come out of her mouth like they are moving through honey. "Seelie Lord."

Camden shoots a look at his brother and Cáel moves, heading for the kitchen. He returns with a glass of water and a handful of berries. He hands them both to Rowan and she takes them. Rowan nibbles on one of the berries before she takes a sip of water. The bit of food brings some of her energy back to her. Camden waits for her to finish eating before he speaks again.

"What happened, Ro. Why are you so exhausted?"

Her words are clearer this time. "The Seelie Lord found me. He chased me to the river and he was using runes to catch me. I had to use mine to stop him and I think it drained my energy."

The brothers share another glance. "Why would he be chasing you?"

Rowan frowns. "Andrian didn't tell you?"

Cáel tilts his head. "Tell us what?"

"The Seelie Lord is my Great-Grandfather."

Cáel jumps to his feet. "He's your what? How long have you known?"

Camden pushes his brother down again and looks at Rowan. "We're cursed because of your family's relationship with him, aren't we?"

Rowan's mouth drops open. "How did you figure it out?"

"The timelines match up and it would explain some other things. How long have you known?"

"Since Andrian and I went to speak with the elders." Rowan paues and glances around. "Speaking of Andrain, where is he?"

Camden frowns. "He went looking for you before. You can contact him and tell him to come back, though."

"How?"

He nods to Rowan's bracelet. "Because of that. Think of him, that will establish the connection. Then think the words you want to say, like you were speaking inside your mind."

"Okay . . ."

He nudges her. "Try. it might not work, but at least you tried."

She sighs. Andrian? Hello? Are you there? She doesn't get a response, per say, but she does get a feeling of empty darkness. She tries again. Andrian?

He responds that time, his mental voice weary. Rowan? What's wrong?

Your brothers said you went looking for me. You can come back to the pocket realm now.

He lets out a strained laugh. I'm afraid that isn't possible.

Rowan frowns. Why?

Silence. He speaks after a moment, but that moment feels like an eternity. The Seelie Lord took me. Don't come, it's a trap.

Rowan scowls. Like hell, I'm not coming! Where are you?

I don't know. But don't come. I'll be fine. I won't let him get you.

He won't bother us for now. I'm coming, Andrian! I'm going to find you!

The connection fades and Rowan looks up. Camden is watching her, his face calm.
________________________________________________________________________________
Oh no, is Andrian going to be okay? Where is he? Is Rowan even going to be able to look for him when she's this exhausted? What do you think is going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.