Chapter 58

Rowan knows the moment the Seelie Lord steps into the clearing. She would have known even without seeing him do so. The air temperature drops, cold seeping into her bones. It's not that the air isn't warm, it hasn't actually changed in temperature. It's more that something radiates off the two Aos Sì. a feeling, perhaps.

Whatever it is, the antlered man radiates warmth and the Seelie Lord emits cold. The two war with each other and after a moment, the warmth from the antlered Aos Sì prevails over the cold. The warmth spreads over Rowan's skin once again and she relaxes, the feeling bringing comfort to her. Beneath her, the Seelie Lord tilts his head.

"Interesting. You're higher ranked than me."

The antlered man just smiles. "Of course I am. I'm the King of the Unseelie Court. You are just a lord of the Seelie."

The Seelie Lord takes a small step backwards. Rowan grins. Someone scares him! Then she gulps. She just met the Unseelie King. With her luck, he'll try to kill or capture her like everyone else. Rowan turns her attention back to the two Aos Sì below, just in time to hear the Seelie Lord speak.

"I am looking for a human girl who ran from me. Have you seen her?"

Rowan holds her breath, certain that the Unseelie King will give her up. He just tilts his head. "I have seen many human girls, so I cannot say. Tell me about her and I may find an answer by your description."

Rowan has to hold in a gasp. He's hiding her. He knows without a doubt that the Seelie Lord is looking for her. She even told him that someone was chasing her. But even so, he isn't giving her away. Why? What reason could he have for protecting her? His head turns almost imperceptibly towards her and his eyes flick up. Rowan doesn't move, her back pressed against the bark. He looks back at the Seelie Lord, who is beginning to describe her.

"The girl has red hair and green eyes. I know she ran this way. Have you seen her?"

"No red-haired girl has run past me."

Rowan's mouth twitches into a smile. He's right, she didn't run past him. She ran up to him but no further. The Seelie Lord scowls.

"You're sure?"

"As the leaves dance in the wind."

The Seelie Lord grumbles and turns, stalking away into the forest. One of the trees reaches out towards him and grabs onto his arm. The Seelie Lord twists back to look at the Unseelie King, a restrained snarl backing his words.

"Release me!"

The Unseelie King smiles. "And why would I do that? You have insulted me and failed to provide the respect due to me."

The Seelie Lord spits at him. "Give you respect? You're an Unseelie. You don't deserve it. Release me."

"Only if you do something for me."

Anger laces the Seelie Lord's words. "And what is that?"

"You will give your word that you will never enter my lands again. The lands that I consider part of the Unseelie Court, mind you. Not the ones you Seelies believe to belong to us."

"Fine. I give my word that I shall never set foot upon the lands you call your own."

The Unseelie King smiles. "Well. That's all I need. You may go." He pauses. "You have three minutes to leave my lands before I send my court to hunt you."

The branches holding onto the Seelie Lord retract and he bolts, sprinting for the woods by Rowan's house. The branches keeping Rowan on the tree loosen and shift, carrying her back down to the ground. When Rowan's feet touch the ground, her knees threaten to buckle beneath her weight.

Apparently, adrenaline is the only thing keeping her going and that is fading now that the danger has passed. The Unseelie King frowns, concern beginning to shine in his gold-green eyes as he steps toward her. Rowan takes a step forward and stumbles. He darts forward to catch her, keeping her steady.

"What's wrong?"

Rowan's voice is quiet and strained. She doesn't think about if she should be telling him this or not, the concern in his voice is what makes her speak. "I used too much magic and too much energy when I ran. It's catching up to me."

Her skin heats up where he is gripping her and warmth trickles into her veins. Rowan blinks, feeling more awake.

"What?"

"I gave you a little energy. Tell me why you used up your magic."

"Needed to escape Finfolk."

"Finfolk took you?"

Rowan nods and he curses. She blinks and opens her mouth again. "They have a prophecy." His hands tighten against her arm. "Ow!" He releases her.

"What was the prophecy?"

"Umm. A curse of old must be broken, before the balance of all is lost. Three are bound to break it, yet unknown. A lost flower blue, a hidden snowflake made of stars, and a berry of twinning red. All must come or all is lost."

The Unseelie King steps back, panic rising in his eyes. "Go." Rowan doesn't move. He says it again. "Go home and don't return here! It isn't safe."

Rowan spins at last and darts through the trees, leaving the Unseelie King alone in the clearing with his fears.
________________________________________________________________________________
We know who he is now! What do you think about him being the Unseelie King? Why did he hide her? What about the prophecy terrified the Unseelie King? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.