Chapter 43

Darach sighs, leaning her head back against the roots of her tree. Her entire body hurts from the fire that burned her tree. It has exhausted her too, fighting the effects. She knows she shouldn't be upset at Ro, the girl couldn't have come any earlier. But the pain of being devoured by greedy fire, she didn't need to feel that again. The last time was bad enough. Darach shivers, her arms tightening around herself. She struggles to her feet and unwraps one arm, fingering the rough bark of her tree.

It's comforting to feel the life inside it instead of the dead darkness the fire brought. When she reaches up to touch one of her low-hanging leaves, she almost breaks down. The life flowing through that one tiny leaf is music to her, the song of beginnings and change. The song is darker this day than it has been before, full of memories of pain and loss. Memories of healing and relief. She shakes, curling her arms tighter around herself. A pale green-tinted tear runs down the side of her face and she wipes it away with one hand.

Darach steps into her tree before she breaks down, seeking the safety and comfort of its heart. The silence is warm, the feeling of wood pressing against her skin like a human blanket, something humans wrap themselves in for comfort. Darach touches the wood with a finger, feeling the smooth texture of it. She smiles. No human will ever know what it is like to be a dryad, to see the secrets of the trees.

They think wood is so rough when they touch it, but it isn't true. It's their tools that make the wood that way, they ravage it. Inside the tree, it is the smoothest thing that could ever be felt. There is a rap on the bark of her tree and Darach frowns. Who is trying to summon her? Ro went home, and not many know that her tree is home to a dryad. Whoever it is, they rap again and Darach sighs. She steps out of the tree, moving fluidly from wood and bark to air and earth.

"Who's there?"

There is a shadow in front of her, dark even in the starlit night, but there is no one in sight. It certainly isn't her shadow. That means the person is above her. She looks up. Crouching between the branches of her tree is an Aos Sí man, his wine-red hair flowing over his shoulders. Darach scowls and lets out a cry of anger.

"Get out of my tree!"

He drops to the ground smoothly, not a hair out of place. His golden antlers shine in the little light emanating from his luminescent eyes.

"Apologies, dryad."

Darach crosses her arms. "What are you doing here?"

"The allegiance of this clearing has changed. It should belong to the Forest King, yet it does not. What can you tell me of what has occurred here?"

"The allegiance of this clearing will bear no harm to the Forest King."

He steps closer, anger beginning to glitter in his eyes. His voice hardens, so at odds with the kindness held within him that always seeps into his speech. "You will tell me regardless, dryad."

Darach hangs her head. She hopes he doesn't get mad at Ro for this, he must know who she is. "The human girl."

All the anger fades away from him, replaced by shock. "Red hair? Goes by Ro?" Darach nods. "Tell me everything."

"Do you know about the Seelie Lord? The one that chases her?" He nods, a flash of darker emotion flickering across his face. "He burned this clearing in anger after he trapped her and she got away. She returned here and when she touched the trees and the brambles, they began to heal."

He takes a step back, surprised. "She has that gift?"

"Yes, but she can't control it. She passed out that first time. When she woke up, I told her that I would teach her."

"How out of control is she?"

Darach glares at him. "Field cow-wheat flowers grow whenever she touches the ground."

His face whitens in shock and fear. He hisses, "Teach her to control it!"

Darach places her hands on her hips. "What do you think I'm doing? Nothing? We tried to turn her magic off today and it almost swept her away! It broke her block against it."

"She has that much power? You are sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure!"

He sighs. The sound is grumbling, full of irritation, anger, fear, and worry. "How are you trying to get her to stop the flow of the magic?"

"It's a river and at the end is a waterfall. She needs to smoothen out the river, or change its course."

He shakes his head. "That won't do. With magic this strong, that won't work."

"Oh? So what should I have her do?"

"Give the magic an outlet. Let little bits of it loose each day. Preferably without those flowers involved."

Darach frowns. "For her to do that, she would have to be able to direct the magic first."

"So work with her on that. In the river of magic, leave a little waterfall open. Let it keep flowing out in smaller amounts."

"I'll try."

He nods. "I'll see that you do. Return to your tree, dryad."

"Why? Are you going to take back the clearing?"

He pauses. "Should I not?"

"It protects her from him."

"Very well. See to it that the rest of the forest keeps its allegiance to whom it should belong."

Darach bows her head. "I will."

He's gone, moving into the darkness of the forest. Darach sighs. She did not need that encounter this day.
________________________________________________________________________________
Who do you think he is? Why did the mention of the flowers scare him so much? What do you think is going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.