Chapter 54

Andrian scrambles forward to catch Rowan before her injured arm can crash into the stony riverbank. Her face is pale with exhausted. What happened to her while she was gone? Her skin is cool and clammy, and it isn't because she was in the water. She just burned all of that off of herself. Andrian pauses, frowning. Since when has Rowan been able to summon fire beneath her skin? He sighs. Asking questions won't help right now.

She can't answer them and he doesn't know the answers. He needs to get her to Aoife. He shifts and looks behind him to make sure that she is secure on his back before he starts moving. Then he snorts and starts off into a walk, carefully picking his way up the slope of the riverbank. If he could go faster, he would, but right now Rowan could fall off of his back if he picks up his pace. Either way, he is moving faster as a horse than he would in human form.

The other kelpies around him move aside, sensing his urgency. Andrian shifts again when he reaches Aoife's house, sweeping Rowan up into his arms. Her flaming hair spills over, hanging towards the ground. For the first time since he's known her, the strands are dull, not as bright as they should be. Andrian pulls Rowan against his chest and raps on Aoife's door with one hand. It swings open a moment later and Aoife appears in the doorway, her dark hair held back in a loose braid.

Her eyes widen when she sees Rowan and she holds the door open wider. Andrian quickly moves up the steps, carrying Rowan inside. Aoife directs him towards the couch against the wall and he lowers Rowan onto it, making sure her left arm is secure but not pinned. Once he is satisfied with how she is positioned, he lets out a relieved sigh. Aoife makes a small noise and he turns to her. She steps closer to Rowan and hums, crouching down to look at her more closely. When she looks at Rowan's arm, she doesn't touch it.

"Dislocated."

Andrian frowns. "What?"

"Her arm is dislocated. Tell me what happened. Everything, not just about her arm."

Andrian nods. "I was alerted that she was in trouble so I went to her and when I emerged from the river, she wasn't there. I had to run across it, following the rapids. That's when I found her, pressed against a boulder. She was only a few meters away from a waterfall."

Aoife frowns. "Why was she in the rapids?"

"I presume it was to escape from the Ghillie Dhu that were cornering her in the river. I got her out of there and on the way through the passage, one of them reached through and grabbed her. By the time she got free, we were separated."

Andrian pauses and Aoife prods for him to continue. "What happened then?"

"She disappeared before I could get to her."

Aoife's eyes widen. "Disappeared?"

"Yes. One moment she was in the passage and the next, she was gone."

"Where did she go?"

Andrian shakes his head. "I don't know. She passed out before I could find out. Do you know why?"

Aoife frowns. "At a guess, based on what you've told me and I've seen, I think it's a combination of three things. Pain, sheer exhaustion, and the overuse of her magic."

"How could she have overused her magic?"

Aoife shrugs. "You'll have to ask her when she wakes up."

Andrian sighs and places his head in his hands, dismayed. "Tell me she will be alright. Tell me there is something you can do."

Aoife shakes her head. "I can't do anything about her magic or exhaustion. She'll have to recover from that the long way, but she will be fine. However, I can start to work on her arm."

Andrian nods. "Do it, please."

"Move back."

Andrian does so without question, giving Aoife space to work. She stretches out Rowan's arm and carefully feels along the shoulder. Rowan makes some small, pained noises, but it doesn't deter Aoife. One moment she is feeling along the shoulder, and in the next she yanks on Rowan's arm. The joint slides into place with a pop and a cry of pain from Rowan.

Her eyes snap open, the pain woke her up. Just as quickly, they close again. That's how exhausted she is, not even pain can keep her conscious. Even so, Aoife touches Rowan's forehead with a finger. Light glows there for a moment before Aoife pulls her hand away. She looks over at Andrian before he can ask what she did.

"Don't worry. It will just make sure she sleeps and gets the rest she needs."

Andrian nods. Aoife turns back to her work, placing her hands on the flesh of Rowan's arms. Her hands glow gold and she hisses. The hiss turns from restrained pain to shock after a moment and she looks over at Andrian.

"Did you know how long she was gone?"

"She told me she was gone for the entire day."

Aoife shakes her head. "It's been longer than that. She must have either spent a long time in the passage or a long time wherever she was before. Her injury is several days old by her body's clock."

"Could it just be that she healed faster?"

Aoife gives him a piercing look. "My healing magic can tell me how quickly someone heals and based on how quickly she heals, this injury is several days old."

Andrian sighs. He doesn't know what to say. Aoife seems to know that and she turns back to Rowan's arm, letting her healing work again. She is speeding up the process, letting Rowan's arm strengthen now, while she is still asleep.
________________________________________________________________________________
Haha! I fit this in between flights!

What do you think of her injuries? Will she be fine? What will happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.