Chapter 41

Patton:
When I wake up the next morning, Virgil is already awake. He's sitting quietly on his pile of blankets, silently staring at the wall. It freaks me out a little at first.

"Hey, Vee?"

He jumps, then smiles at me, "You're awake."

"Yeah...my alarm is about to go off. Why are you up?"

He shrugs, "Just restless, I guess."

I look at him worriedly, "Okay, since you're up, how about breakfast?"

     He shrugs, "I don't really eat breakfast."

     I remember Roman convincing him to eat at our sleepover. I guess I don't really have a different plan so I try to recreate it. "Maybe just some fruit?"

     He sighs, "Are you guys gonna make me eat fruit every time I sleep over?"

     I shake my head and laugh, "You don't have to eat fruit, just eat something." He rolls his eyes at me. "Come on, Roman will be here to pick us up in half an hour."

     Virgil follows me into the kitchen, grumbling about breakfast being pointless. I pass him two oranges and a banana. He says he's not gonna eat them all. I shrug.

     "So, do you need to be home after school today?" Sometimes Virgil can't hang out with us. Roman gets really antsy on those days. He texts Virgil a lot on those days...

     "Yeah, my mom wants me to get some chores done since I wasn't home to do them yesterday, sorry."

     I give him an encouraging smile, "No need to apologize, it's not your fault. Roman has rehearsals anyway. Maybe me and Logie will do something together.

     Virgil smiles really wide, "You really like him, huh, Pat?"

     I feel my face grow warm and I look away quickly, "Yeah, a little..."

     Virgil chuckles, "That's great, Pat. You guys go great together."

     I look back to him and smile, "You really think so?"

    He nods, "And I have a feeling Logan does too."

     I think about that as I get ready for school, maybe...maybe Logan could like me back...maybe...

Roman:

     I pull up outside of Patton's house, eager to see how Virgil is doing after spending the night with Patton. Logan assured me that he should be fine, but I just can't help but worry for him.

     Patton comes bounding down the steps of his porch, Virgil following behind at a slower pace, but a smile on his face nonetheless.

     Virgil slides into the passenger seat, which has become basically his at this point. "Hey, Ro."

     "Morning, Stormcloud." I press a kiss to his cheek. "You sleep okay?" Now that he's so close I can see the bags under his eyes are darker than usual.

     He shrugs, and turns around in his seat to greet Logan. I'm glad he's in a good mood, but I really wish he'd get some more sleep.

     When we pull into the school parking lot, I ask Logan and Patton to give us a moment alone. I can see Virgil tense up as I say this, I grab his hand and squeeze it softly. It does seem to reassure him, if only a little.

     When we're alone in the car, I shift to look at him fully. "You wanna come over here for a minute?" I reach my arms out towards him.

     He nods, and I quickly wrap my arms around his waist and pull him over the console and into my lap. I quickly pull the seat back and tuck him into my chest.

     "Is something wrong?" He whispers softly into the silence of the car.

     I shake my head, "Just wanted to spend a minute or two with you. Did you sleep last night?"

     He tenses in my lap, "A little..."

     I hum, "Take it easy today, okay?"

     He nods, "You're so warm..."

     I rub my hand up and down his back, "Good,  if you're cold you'll have a reason to let me hold you."

     He chuckles, "Thanks a lot, I really don't wanna go to school now."

     "Mmm, sorry."

     He sighs, "Worth it."

     We sit like that until the bell rings, and maybe a little longer after that.

—————
Sorry I haven't updated in so long, hope this makes up for it. It was kinda super self indulgent but oh well.