XXIV (24)

The aftermath of Elizabeth's death was sudden. It all happened so fast. 

One minute she was writhing in pain, the next, she lay still on the ground, ashen and pale. Sirius shook her lifeless body, still in disbelief. 

Mrs. Turner laughed maniacally, her last spell leaving a forever lasting effect on everyone's lives. 

"Avada Kedavra," Were the last words Mrs. Turner yelled before the figure behind her muttered the same words towards her. 

Dumbledore stood grave faced as he surveyed the scene beyond him. 

"Mr. Black," Dumbledore said gently as knelt down next to Sirius, "Let her go."

"No!" Sirius screamed, cradling her body close to his chest, "I can't. Save her! Do something!"

All Sirius could think of was that her last moments were spent being taunted by him, and saving him. He wanted to go back. He wanted to change it. He wanted to take her place. He hadn't known her long, but if there was ever a moment to describe 'love at first sight', it would've been the moment he met her. 

Fierce, snappy, and sassy, Elizabeth was bizarre with her doll heads and her odd infatuation with Remus. He would never tell Remus about just how strong his feelings towards Elizabeth, though. Remus had general idea that Sirius had the hots for her, but never this much. Sirius himself didn't even realize it until it was too late. 

Two weeks later, Elizabeth Juniper Turner was laid to rest. 

Mabel stood alongside the Marauders, each clad in back, staring as the coffin was lowered into the ground. Elizabeth was buried in a field of grass and flowers. There were some junipers scattered around the field. Mabel had chosen the spot in honour of Elizabeth's name. 

Remus sniffled lightly as he dropped a flower on top of her coffin. The rest of the Marauders followed, as did Mabel, Alice, Zach and the rest of Elizabeth's friends.

Mr. Turner stood off to the side in magic handcuffs. He was forced to be Mrs. Turner's accomplice, and he was getting taken away to his trail soon after Elizabeth's funeral. 

She was buried, her soul preserved with magic, and life went on as usual.

There were a few whispers at Hogwarts, but nothing out of the ordinary, and within a few weeks, it had all died down. It was almost like Elizabeth was never there in the first place.

Sirius kept the memory of Elizabeth near and dear to his heart, forever and always. 

He had chased her, and in the end, she had gotten away.