16

Sammy

"Wait so let me get this straight- Dante? My Dante? He did what?"

"I don't even know how to describe what he did. I mean, one second I'm over here thinking this dip shit Adrian-"

"Watch it." Aiden called out, as he started to pull a seat up at the bar.

"Adrian, not you Aiden ." Kassie clarified.

"Oh." He he gave us an approving nod to continue.

"One second I'm over here thinking this dipshit Adrian has been slacking on weights or something because those punches, man. They were fucking weak in comparison to what I know he's capable of. I mean they weren't terrible, but they weren't there there ya know? I'm just saying, I've been sparring the kid for a while now and-"

"Anyways-" Grayson was quick to cut off my rambling. "Dante was watching while Adrian and I were sparring, and he- what did he say, man?" Grayson turned to me.

"He barely audibly whispered he needs to inverse it." I chimed in.

Whenever Grayson and I had to explain anything to do with Fighting, we told it like a movie.

"I'm not going to explain the combo to you cause I know you won't understand it-" Grayson started.

"I appreciate your honesty." Kas cut in.

"But this guy put together a combo that could work around Adrian's busted hand in like the 8 seconds of seeing him fight... and we didn't even know he had a busted hand! Adrian didn't flinch with pain or anything when he hit me with it. It's crazy that Dante caught that." Grayson finished as he and I both took the last swigs of our sparkling water.

Grayson's face scrunched up in disgust like he did with every sip, but I just ignored it like I did with every sip. I told him no more alcohol and no more soda. If he wanted to defy that on his own, he could, but not when I'm around.

"I'm sorry Kas, but you're going to need to fire him." Grayson told her simply.

"Cause we're going to need to hire him." I added.

"What?" Kas looked at us incredulously. "No! What's wrong with you people? You know how long we've been looking for help? He's been amazing around here, and... and..." she trailed off.

"We found him first." Howard finished, jumping to Kas's rescue as he emerged from the back room with the rest of his belongings.

"Taking off for the night?" I asked him. He gave me a nod. "Tell the lady I say hello." I added

"Will do." He replied, placing his hand briefly on my shoulder before making his way out.

"I can't understand what's crazier: how you and Howie are buds, or how that man has a wife." Kassie shook her head.