19

Sammy

I didn't necessarily understand Dante's reasoning for not wanting to fight, but I settled on this familiar feeling that it wasn't my place to pry

I didn't necessarily understand Dante's reasoning for not wanting to fight, but I settled on this familiar feeling that it wasn't my place to pry. I was just happy he had agreed to it in the first place.

Dante decided he was going to head home for a bit, and he'd see me later on in the day with some of his things. That left me with more time to kill than I had initially planned for... so I decided to have Grayson over.

"That sure is a hole in your ceiling." He mumbled to himself, as he tried to stomach a mango flavored LaCroix.

"That sure is." I nodded, staring up at the same hole he was.

"It's starting to get considerably hot up here, you know. How high do you have that A/C?" Grayson turned to ask me.

"The highest." I replied honestly. And he was right. After my shower this morning, I had switched into another pair of shorts and a shirt. I was maybe three more degrees away from getting shirtless. Eight more degrees from completely naked. "I chose the worst time to fix this."

"You really did." Grayson agreed. "I think we'll be approaching stormy weather around the time of our tournament. Hopefully it'll be fixed by then."

We both glanced back up at the hole.

Dante said it wouldn't take more than a few days... but that was before I offered him another job here. Now he was going to have to split his time 3 ways, and frankly, I gave way more of a fuck about fighting than I did about a hole in my roof.

"I'm surprised that worked out so well. He agreed to stay here a little bit and he's going to work for us? What a weird twist of events." Grayson added. "I bet that kids a fucking beast in the ring."

"He won't be fighting." I replied.

Grayson nodded to himself. "I gotchya. He'll still be great to spar with-"

"He won't be sparring either. He's not doing any fighting."

Graysons head whipped in my direction. "What do you mean he's not doing any fighting?"

"I mean he's not doing any fighting."

"Then what exactly is he going to be doing?"

"Instructing." I replied simply.

"Without fighting?" He doubled down.

"Yes, Grayson. He was able to catch that boxing fracture without even touching Adrian. I think he'll be fine."

Grayson looked at me skeptically, but eventually nodded. "I wonder what the kids story is. He had to have been around professional boxing for a while- he was quick to reconfigure those combos."

I silently agreed with Grayson. Dante clearly knew fighting, and probably how to fight... but he was also clear on the fact that he didn't want to do so. He looked at fighting with admiration and terror.