Sacrifice

Merrian traveled with Margot for many years, traveling from country to country, all while trying to avoid the Brotherhood as much as possible, often saying hidden in the woods so as to avoid attention. And over those years spent together Merrian and Margot grew an interesting relationship, Margot was true to her word as a mentor, but there were feelings that she could not ignore when seeing the girl with the moon on her neck. Often times she would catch herself staring at the girl as she did monotonous tasks, gathering tinder, tending the fire, even doing washing Margot would watch, and wait.

It was not long before Margot caught Merrian watching her as well. Their eyes would meet for a fleeting second before they both avoided each other's gaze pointedly, for the rest of the day. Merrian learned many things from Margot, like how to hunt, fish, and glide silently through the underbrush. Merrian was soon an expert hunter, often times catching prey that Margot had been to slow to apprehend. They would often celebrate the success of Merrian's hunts in the evening, when Margot would take out a carefully crafted flute and play soft tunes for Merrian, who would clap her hands for a beat.

It was one such night when Merrian had caught a rather difficult hunt that she had succeeded in. They sat side by side in the firelight as Margot played her flute. As Margot finished she could see the smile in Merrian's eyes, but there was also a distance.

"What are you thinking about?" She asked and Merrian sighed softly.

"I'm thinking about someone I knew for only a short time, but he protected me when he didn't have to." She explained and Margot nodded, her silence saying more than words.

"I had waited for him to come back to that village, he had promised me he would, but I haven't seen him since the day he left me there..." Margot listened to Merrian and nodded slowly before standing up. She looked around the meager campsite, and frowned.

"Stand up, there is something I wish to show you." Margot helped Merrian to her feet and lead her through the trees a short distance away. They walked into a clearing and the moon shone in the sky, full and bright. Margot took Merrian's hands in hers smiling softly, the first time Merrian had seen her smile.

"When I found you, I thought you looked so small and frail. But as time moved on I realized you were quite strong and resilient, and I soon grew to, to love those qualities." She said carefully and Merrian's cheeks reddened

"I love you Merrian, but... I cannot make you happy. But I will protect you not only because it is my duty, but it is what I wish to do. Because I love you." Margot confessed in full view of the moon and Merrian couldn't help herself as she stood up on tip toe and gave Margot a soft kiss.

"It doesn't matter, you make me happy just by being here for me." She breathed and Margot let out a sigh of relief.

"I thought I was in tough competition with that man who saved you so many years ago..." Margot said softly and Merrian shook her head at her smiling softly

"Love is not a competition, though if it were, you would have won." They stood there together in the clearing, whispering soft words and exchanging softer glances. Neither one wanting to look away or leave the new found intimacy of the conversation hanging in dead air. They were finally in sync with each other, and it was beautiful. Like how the moon moved around the earth, they would forever be bound to each other.

It was months later when they were making their way through marshlands towards a town known as Blaviken, it was not big, or even much less of a settlement. But it was of decent size, considering the population was mostly fishermen. Merrian and Margot walked through towards the market with Merrian following not too closely, but not far off. This was often a tactic they used when traveling into a town or city, feigning familiarity to only a certain degree in order to keep people from being suspicious. As they made their way into the market they were stopped by men with drawn weapons.