WANT YOU

"If I don't see you in the next hundred years, it would be too soon."
                         - Abike

"I am giving you something to do. Looks like you have been so idle, you had enough time on your hands to want me."
                     - Prince Murewa

Saturday couldn't come fast enough for three people.

The first two were the Minister of Culture, Sir Adekoya, and the Minister Of Information, Sir Jolayemi. They were knee-deep in their preparations for the annual ball and quickly had to see the Prince to address one important section on their list.

It was barely seven a.m and they were already halfway to the Prince's room, their shoes making hollow sounds on the tiles as they walked.

"I don't know...is this a good idea?" Adekoya threw Jolayemi a sideways glance filled with doubt, his earlier excitement ebbing away as the Prince's room loomed closer.

Jolayemi waved his hands dismissively and hissed as they turned into the Prince's hallway. He always acted like he wasn't scared of the Prince but everyone knew he was the one who feared the Prince the most; so Adekoya wasn't at all convinced by his flippancy. They arrived at the Prince's door.

"I am suddenly very thirsty," Jolayemi complained in a throaty voice, his hand curling around his throat and rubbing gently. "Do you think we can go back to the kitchen for a glass of water?"

Adekoya rapped on the door quickly, deliberately ignoring Jolayemi. Suddenly very thirsty, indeed!

They heard no sound from the other end of the room and Adekoya hesitated before knocking again. Nothing.

"Do you think he is not in? Maybe he went for training after all."

"It's probable." Jolayemi jumped at the uncertainty in his friend's voice. "He usually likes to rest on Saturdays, but sometimes he decides to go anyways."

"Hmm." Adekoya nodded. "Maybe we should come back later. You —"

"Who is whispering at my door?"

They both froze as they heard the Prince's cool voice from the other end of the door.
They realized it would be undignified to run and decided to just man up and go in.
The Prince was after all just a man.

"It's Adekoya," the Minister quickly answered. "I am here with..." he looked at Jolayemi and decided against telling the Prince he was here with him.
Everyone knew the Prince hated the man as much as he feared the Prince.

"Come in."

They paused for a split second before turning the knob and pushing the door open.
The room was semi-dark and the curtains were closed, but a single lamp was on. The Prince was lying on the bed with an open book in his hand, the bedcover drawn up over the lower half of his body and chest.

Adekoya saw the Prince narrow his eyes as Jolayemi came in behind him. He remained silent, watching the two Ministers in cool disdain; his eyes telling them all the things he wouldn't say with his mouth.

They both stood before the Prince like errant school kids in front of their scolding Headmaster until Adekoya nudged Jolayemi. He was the one who prompted this visit in the first place, so he should be ready to talk.

"Good morning, my Prince." Jolayemi paused and when the Prince didn't respond, he continued.
"If you remember, in the last meeting, we mentioned that Adekoya and I are the ones in charge of making important preparations for the annual ball that is soon to take place." He paused again, getting increasingly uncomfortable by the unwavering look the Prince was directing at him.