Chapter 23.1 : <Dread.>

3rd

A lone Jumper Slime bounced around in a white Magic Barrier erected by the Raid Response Team, who was called to the scene by Rowan. Eric's expression stayed stiff as his eyes surveyed the field, counting the casualties of the Reinforcements who were sent on their own suicide mission. He leaned his head over to a man with a piece of paper, and spoke into his ear.

{Eric}
"130 dead, 72 remaining."

The man nodded, writing down what he was told with a somber complexion. He then went back into the city to report to whomever was his superior for the town. Eric rubbed his chin and stared at the remaining Slime, he couldn't get this strange feeling of dread shaken away from his heart, which he always relied on. Eric closed his eyes and recited the message that had always remained implanted into his mind.

{Eric}
Feel your heart and let it guide you...

He put his hand on the hilt of his sword, seeing his old scars flashing onto his hand. The events of that day replayed in his mind, and he was grateful to have experienced total defeat, and he wouldn't ask for anything different to have happened in his lifespan. He thought about the peace that he'd been able to have by staying by the man who raised him. But the issue was that...

This was the same feeling from before. He had to stay confident, more to reassure himself. But he knew that if the final slime was defeated, a disaster was sure to...

A dark blue ray of light fired from the direction of the forests, heading directly toward the Slime. Eric drew his sword and leapt in front of the beam, swinging it and attempting to cut the beam only for it to completely phase through the sword and his clothes, piercing his shoulder and severing his left arm, which slid out of his sleeve and fell onto the grass. It continued through the Barrier, directly striking the core and shattering it.

Eric grasped his left sleeve, trying to stop the blood that was soaking through his shirt and jacket, trickling down further and further. He had his limbs dismembered before, but this time was... different. He felt like he lost something inside, and a phantom pain kept stinging at his shoulder even though it was no longer there. The sky flickered from blue into white, and black clouds gathered a thousand feet in front of them. A bolt of yellow lightning crashed into the plains from the clouds, exploding and blowing large gusts of wind away at all directions, clearing a hole in the clouds which was purely red. The shockwaves blew away the people who came to help nearby Eric, but he resisted the force.

Eric collapsed onto one knee, removing a small red gem from his collar with his bloody hand and steadied his voice.

{Eric}
"Emergency code 'Cancel Invalid', Emergency code 'Urgent Care'."

The gem pulsed once, signalling that the message was sent, and it pulsed again to signal that his message was received. The threat was so high that Humans could feel shivers of dread pricking at their skin, and it was worse for the Beast-Kin.

And for a certain Wraith along with his companion who was currently staring him to death, an opportunity opened.

Even if that opportunity was nothing less of a Nightmare.

.

.

.

.

.

.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tis' I, davd man.

Yay, two updates. Very nice right? Oh? You wanna know what I'm planning?..

Anyway, thanks for reading! I drew Reina again, and I'll probably draw her again because I messed up with the skin tone so she looks really yellow for no reason. I did put this in the Character Description chapter at the very bottom of the list of chapters but I'll just put it here anyway c;

See ya next time!