Enjoining what is right & forbidding what is wrong

الأمر بالمَعْرُوف والنَهي عن المُنْكَر

(Enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong)

"Whoever amongst you sees an evil, he must change it with his hand. If he is not able to do so, then with his tongue. And if he is not able to do so, then with his heart, and that is the weakest form of faith".

~

I am not the bravest person here, nor the brightest one and I am probably one of the people with weakest form of faith (May Allah forgive me and strengthened my Iman).

I wanted to share my thoughts with all of you because I really feel pathetic right now, to be very honest. And perhaps I want to borrow some courage from you guys and want to discuss something with you.

Recently while talking with some people in my social circle, I have realized how frustrated we adults are, especially those who are working under a person with a twisted mindset. Whether it is a female or a male, we are equally harassed in our workplaces and unfortunately, like students, we don't have options like switching schools because finding a job these days is not as easy as it was in our parents time. Therefore, we allowed ourselves to be harassed by our so-called leaders and mentors, aka 'The Boss'.

Point to be noted that I am talking about verbal harassment here, which we face daily on our jobs.

Alhamdulillah, the case is different for me. I quit my job when I became a victim of it and luckily was able to find a good job. But since then, I never allowed anyone to take advantage of me. Still, unfortunately, I witness the same things happening to my colleagues daily, and daily I am burdened by the thought that I cannot do anything for them. Those are the moments when my heart say, 'الأمر بالمَعْرُوف والنَهي عن المُنْكَر' and asked me, 'Where do you stand? And where should you stand?

I am confused?

Where should I stand?

When I see my boss insulting senior colleagues in front of juniors. When I witness someone being taken advantage because of his financial circumstance. When the favourite employees of the organization have the freedom of shouting on others. When I saw that higher positions are given on the gender bases. When I hear male coworkers saying unethical things in the presence of females to harras them.

What should I do?

Where should I stand after being a witness of all these forms of harassments?

I think we have gotten so used to it that it seems normal to us. But we really need to think again, it is not normal. What is wrong, will always be wrong and all of us will be questioned because of it.

Mine advise is that don't get used to such behaviours. It is not normal, don't close your eyes. If you are in a safe zone that doesn't mean you will always be in the safe zone. Sooner or later this fire will burn you too, so try to stop this. Whenever you get the chance raised your voice against this type of harassment, because these organizations for which we work has the potential to ruin your peaceful life.

Take it as advice of a frustrated elder sister, because I don't want anyone to face such things especially you guy who are so dear to me. Anyways, I am still struggling to find my answers and I hope you guy find them too.

But before I go, there is one more thing I want to say to you, if you guys have anything to share about workplace bullying, feel free to tell me your thoughts. I will be sharing it on different platforms and who knows, someone might feel better to have our support.

Lots of love for you guy!

Take Care :)