Prologue

Spencer had just turned 18 on October 28. He lived with his mother and his little sister. That was until his 18th birthday where he could actually get his mother help. He had made a difficult decision to call Bennington Sanitarium. He brought 2 of the employees into the house.

His mother, Diana, who was sitting on the couch reading a book, looked up at him with confusion.

"Spencer, who are these people?" She asked.

"These people are going to take care of, Mom." He answered with a slight bit of sadness.

"I don't need to be taking care of. I can take care of myself along with you and Audrey." She answered.

"Mom what day is it?" He asked her.

Diana struggled to remember, "I just know it, it's right on the tip of my tongue."

"Mrs. Reid we're going to take you with us." One of the employees spoke.

"No you can't do this." She argued, "Spencer you can't."

"Ma'am your son is now 18 he made the decision to call us." The other employee spoke.

"But Audrey is only a kid and she needs a parent." Diana added, "I can't leave."

"I'm taking of her, Mom." Spencer said to her, "I can take care of her."

"You can't take care of a 6 year old, Spencer." Diana said, "it's out of your league to care for children."

"Mom you have Dementia and you can't even remember what day it is." Spencer argued, "you can't care for us anymore if you can't even take care of yourself. I love you, mom. But this is the best thing for you."

The 2 employees gently held her arms and escorted her to the van. Aubrey, his 6 year old sister, walked up to him and tugged on his shirt.

"Spencer? Where's mommy going?" She asked.

Spencer picked her up and held her tightly, "she's going to a place where she'll get the help she needs and taken care of."

"Is she ever coming back?" She asked.

"No." He answered, "but I promise that I'll take care of you as a big brother should."

He ruffled her hair and kissed her cheek. They watched as their mother was driven to Bennington Sanitarium.

"One of the courageous decisions you'll ever make is to finally
let go of what is hurting your heart and soul."
Brigitte Nicole