+Prospector x reader: Patience+

Hello!
I really like this story, hope you will too, but keep in mind that I'm aware that the events in this story aren't exactly (not at all) like in Norton's real story. I just had this scenario in mind.

So kinda spoiler for Norton's story? Even though it's not really accurate lol.
-
He told you he would come back. Just like he always did.

You were used to it after all, so why did this time you felt so anxious?

You wait, patiently sitting at the modest kitchen table. Your house, if you could call it that, had barely any furnitures. A table, at which you were currently sitting in, a little stove and a small cabinet. The door on your left opened on a tiny bedroom barely big enough to fit a bed inside. Not that it really bothered you, but...Norton could be secretive. He promised you that all of this would be temporary and that he was going to find money soon at the mine. He always just asked you to trust him. That's what you did for one year now.

You knew that something in Norton's business wasn't quite right. You were even convinced that something in it was illegal, but you were willing to close your eyes on his shady prospector's job if it was enough to get you both out of trouble. Even if it was what was making you anxious of his return everyday he left to the mines.

Your parents warned you about this. How you were too young to live a life of your own and how that man you wanted to marry was only going to be a bag of trouble. Sure there was sometime when you would doubt your decision, questioning whether or not if following Norton was really worth it, but the look he had in his eyes would always give you the answer.

The ticking of the clock keeps reminding you of the time that passes. Too much time. It is not the first time he is late, but you can't shake off the feeling that something is wrong today. As the night casts it's shadow over your cabin and the forest around it, you begin to feel dizzy, out of breath. Your heart pounds against your rib cage. Feeling like your head will explode if you stay still longer, you quickly grab your heavy, but worn-out dress and push your chair out of the way in order to reach the window.

It's dark out, pitch black. You glance at the front door. A lantern, hanged to a nail beside the window, was kept there in case of emergency. What kind of emergency? Norton never told you. Your eyes begin to water as you imagine yourself just receiving the same news that so many other family in the prospector village received everyday. Just yesterday, the woman you sometime talked to, lost her husband to the mine. Explosion they said.

Enough. You take a deep breath in and quickly wipe the tears that threaten to leave your eyes. You can't give up so easily. He told you to trust him and that's what you always did, this time won't be different. You snatch the lantern from the nail in the wall and light it after searching for matches in the small cabinet.

- Darling...

You jump at the sudden loud sound. The door just slammed open finally revealing the one you were expecting so eagerly. The faint light of the now lit lantern reveals a horrible sight.
- Norton!
You run to him, panicked to see him in such poor state. His messy black locks are falling on his bloodied face. He must have lost his helmet somewhere as it's not on his head anymore. Blood covers part of his shirt and pants, mixed with dirt coal. Now that you think about it, a faint smell of smoke now floats in the room.
- What's going on? What happened back there?
- We need to- to leave. Pack your bags...I-I'll take care of the food, he weakly answers, wiping sweat off his forehead.
Out of breath, he looks like he just ran 10 km.
- The... the food?
You stare at the weak form in front of you. The relief you felt when you saw coming finally home, is quickly replaced by worry and fear. You place the lantern down on the table.
- Norton? W-what is going on? You are hurt! Please just... let me take care of your wounds first...
He limps past you, trying to keep his balance, only to collapse on one of the chairs in the dining room. He takes a hold of the lit lantern and turns slightly to you.
- We don't have time...just...go ahead and pack your stuff. We are leaving.
Leaving. He warned you about it. You never took him seriously even though you were seriously starting to doubt that the business he did in the mine were completely innocent. His dark expression softens once he sees your worried eyes glued on him.
- I don't have time to explain, darling. Please, just follow me.
Getting up, you hesitate.
- I need you to trust me again, dear...please one last time?