CHAPTER FOUR:

[an: the reason why i am uploading this in its entirety is because i'm deleting my account on another fanfiction website i was using due to lack of feedback and more traction on here and ao3, so most of my oldest fan fictions will be uploaded in their entirety for you to read] 

 "That boy could be a good thing for you, Obi Wan." Opal called out as she leaned her weight against the hangar railing. "If you could stop being so condescending all the time, I would really appreciate it."

Obi Wan could not help the overwhelming feel of butterflies fluttering low in his stomach or the slickness of his palms when he looked at Opal, who had become so much more beautiful since they had met. His mind replayed the words that Qui Gon had uttered earlier that day when they'd been discussing his feelings towards the younger woman. "I just feel that the boy is dangerous, Opal." He replied. "You are just like your uncle, headstrong and stubborn. You might have a bigger influence on the boy then you realize."

She snorted indignantly and smacked his arm, which only caused his grin to widen. "You can't tell me that you hate me and my ​​​​​​​glorious personality." She retorted. "It might just save your life someday."

****

The three Jedi followed closely behind Padme and Captain Panaka, who had revealed her true identity as the Queen of Naboo when they had confronted the Gungans for an alliance earlier that morning. Opal rested her hand on the hilt of her lightsaber, her body hunched against the brick wall as Obi Wan followed closely behind her.

Gunshots rang out through the courtyard as they fought their way through the mass of droids, lightsabers exploding in multiple beams of light. Obi Wan whipped around as a droid nearly took out Opal, but not before she could spin back around and sever its head off of its body. "Did you see that?!" She shrieked, grinning at her friend as they continued fighting.

"Try not to have me save your life multiple times, Opal Stone!"

Her heart nearly stopped when their group halted in front of two large doors which opened to reveal a man clothed in black, wielding a deadly lightsaber in his hands. This enemy will bring only death to you. "Obi Wan-" She faltered, her lightsaber coming to life as she struggled to be strong in front of their enemy.

"Stay behind me Opal."

And so she did, quickly pushing Queen Amidala and Captain Panaka's group out of the way as Obi Wan and her Uncle fought with the Sith Lord. Death. Only death. His beady eyes bore into hers as she followed Obi Wan and Qui Gon through the doors, gripping the hilt of her lightsaber.

"Always be brave, Opal Harmony Stone."

She thought back to one of the very first tricks she'd learned when Mace Windu had discovered that she had a midichlorian count just beneath Yoda's. Closing her eyes, she continued following the fight as her mind cleared, and she felt the Force surge around her. ​Use your hands, Opal. Let the Force guide you. Her eyes flashed open as her hand clenched, and she could just barely see Darth Maul's lightsaber begin to flicker.

A scream built up inside her throat as Obi Wan fell at least 20 feet, and Darth Maul's eyes instantly flickered over to her. She lunged forward, a growl deep in her throat as the Sith Lord lost focus and she threw him backwards with the weight of the Force.

Obi Wan watched with fear in his eyes as Opal flipped over her Uncle, and the two of them ran through the hall only to be stopped by multiple sets of shield doors. The Padawan froze as she grabbed his hand, sheathing her lightsaber. She could feel that death was coming much closer then she realized, and if it was Obi Wan, she wasn't about to let him go.

Not when she had just gotten him back.

He turned towards her and found himself pressing a kiss to her forehead. Her eyes fluttered shut as his lips lingered against her skin. "Don't do that again." He breathed. "I just got you back. I'm not about to lose someone-" Before he could continue, they were both running through the shield doors until the last one flickered to life as Qui Gon ran through it. "Else."

Her eyes widened as the Sith pulled his arm back and allowed his lightsaber to plunge into her Uncle's chest, ultimately wounding him to the point that death was inevitable. Everything slowed around her as he let out a barely audible grunt, his lips whispering her name. Tears burned her eyes as Obi Wan's heart fell and he screamed out in horror. "NO!"

She allowed him to take on the Sith himself as she tossed her lightsaber to the side, allowing tears to fall from her eyes as she pulled his limp body into her arms. "Stay alive," She cried out, gently slapping his cheeks. Her heart sank when she noticed the amount of blood that was staining his Jedi robes. "You can't leave me yet, Qui Gon Jinn. Not when I still need you. Please, just stay alive."

Qui Gon smiled up at his niece as she cupped his face, her forehead resting against his own as she cried against his skin. "Opal, promise me." He whispered, his finger running over the tear stains left on her skin. "If you fall in love with Obi Wan, do not let him go."

Her head bobbed up and down as she nodded quickly. "I promise."

Despite the anger and grief that had settled into her heart, she held her uncle against her body and watched the fight ensue between the man who had ultimately become the greatest gift she could ever receive, and the Sith Lord. Her heart nearly stopped as Obi Wan plummeted over the edge, just barely gripping the edge of the chasm.

When I say go, force throw me the lightsaber. Got it?

A smirk crossed her face as she nodded, her eyes falling upon her Uncle's lightsaber just a few feet away from her.

Got it.

Darth Maul paid her no attention as he circled the chasm, waiting to end the Jedi once and for all. Now. She tossed the lightsaber in the air, grinning as Obi Wan caught it with ease and sliced the Sith in half, severing his body completely. "O-Obi Wan-"

Her friend ran up behind her, wrapping his arms around her body as she held Qui Gon against hers. "Obi Wan, promise me you will train the boy." Qui Gon's eyes slowly shifted over to his niece who was crying hysterically into Obi Wan's shoulder. "Along with Opal. I want you both to train Anakin."

"I promise, Master." They replied in unison.

The second Qui Gons eyes closed, Opal let out a sound between a curse and a grieving scream as she fell against Obi Wan's body. He wrapped his arms around her, burying his face against her robes as they sobbed together over the loss of a great friend. "Will you help me train Anakin, Opal?'' He sniffled, forcing a watery smile as she wiped the tears from his eyes.

Opal smiled back and nodded weakly, unwilling to let go of him. "I made a promise," She whispered. "I'm not going anywhere, Obi Wan Kenobi. I don't plan on leaving you alone again."

***

Obi Wan and Opal knelt down in front of Yoda inside the Jedi Council room, their heads bowed. "Grant you both the position of Jedi Knight," Yoda spoke. "The Council does. Training Skywalker, however, we do not."

"Master Yoda," Opal spoke, raising her chin to look into the eyes of her other Master. "Normally, both I and Obi Wan would obey your orders, but we gave Qui Gon our word."

The older Jedi sighed deeply and continued pacing the room. "Qui Gons stubbornness, I sense in both of you. Take the boy as your apprentice, but I sense much danger in his training."

Obi Wan grabbed Opals hand and smiled at Yoda before the two of them left the room. "Obi Wan, I'm going to need to go to the apartment within the month. I can't keep putting it off any longer." That apartment where she had spent her entire life was the one place she kept refusing to go to because of all the demons and ghosts that lurked in the furniture. All reminders of her old life that she never fulfilled.

Obi Wans pale blue eyes widened. "Your old apartment? Are you serious?" He rested a hand on her shoulder as she nodded reluctantly. "Do you want me to go with you?"

"I think I need to go." She murmured. "After we begin training Anakin. My father told me years ago there was stuff in the apartment I would have to face someday." She forced a smile and stood on her tiptoes to press a kiss to Obi Wan's cheek, her hand cupping it.

The two of them remained frozen for a number of minutes, unsure of what to do next. It was clear he cared a great deal her but the Jedi Code made love forbidden. When she tilted her head to look at the anxiety that flooded his face, she found herself lightly squeezing his hand. "C'mon. Qui Gons cremation should be going on soon."