CHAPTER SIXTEEN:

[SONG: JOHNNY CASH - HURT ]

Comfort. She needed comfort, something to keep her anchored to reality in order for this to go well. Fingers tightly laced with Anakins, she quietly entered the chamber where her father and Obi-Wan were. "Oh! Opaline," She recoiled at the name as the Sith emerged from the shadows and the echo of her husbands screams rang in her ears. "I knew you'd come looking for your husband soon enough." Parker Stones emerald green eyes flickered to Anakin who was still clutching his Masters hand. "Ah, the infamous Anakin Skywalker. I've heard alot about you."

Anakin released Opal from his grasps and motioned to Obi-Wan with a flick of his wrist. "You, get your husband." He murmured as he ignited his lightsaber. "I'll deal with this fool myself." Parker clucked his tongue and curled his fingers, but Anakin was much faster then he was.

"Oh, you're much more clever then I gave you credit for." He snarled. Opal was paralyzed as she studied the machine her husband was attached to. Her eyes swept across the blood that had congealed on his chest and the sweat beading on his brow. Blue eyes fluttered desperately in a poor attempt to keep them open.

In the midst of a clash of sabers, Parker spoke. "Now, Opal. I brought you here to make a choice."

Opal had half expected herself to weep at that point. Obi-Wan's head shot up and his eyes met her own, so weak and so helpless. He had endured enough suffering during his youngling and padawan years. Constant rejection, a fear of failure... He wanted nothing more then to be the best of the Jedi Order. "I'm here now, Father." She snarled, pulling her own lightsaber off of her belt and igniting it. "You wanted me. Now let Obi-Wan go."

"The only way I could get you here was to try to kill him!" Her blood boiled as the Sith Lord brought his fist back and punched Obi Wan directly in the face, causing his head to jar to the other side. "And I'll give him credit, he is persistent."

Opal lifted her chin to the ceiling to try and reign in her anger. Deep breath in. Deep breath out. "If you don't let him go, I'll kill you myself." She snapped.

Her thoughts had been clouded with the temptation to succumb to the dark for weeks, and now she knew that he was responsible for it. "I will never join you. Just like I told Count Dooku I'd never join him. Remember him? The man you allowed to slaughter my mother?!"

In the midst of all her yelling, Opal was taking small steps toward Obi-Wan, her gaze focused on the lever of the machine on the control panel. If she just close enough... "I gave your mother FREEDOM!" Parker snarled, his face reddened by his anger. "I freed her from the lie of servitude to the Jedi Order! How is that slaughter?"

Opal shook her head. Anakin was still preoccupied trying to distract her father, but it seemed that he was more set on provoking her. "You were the one in the wrong, Parker. You left me to fend for myself as an initiate in the Temple. All the years I wasn't defending Obi-Wan, I spent wondering why you'd never come home. When your brother died in our arms, I made a promise to the same man I made committed vows to." She gestured to Obi-Wan behind her, barely within fingertips reach. "Here's the truth of the matter. You are as corrupted as the Jedi Council." Opal tilted her head. "I have a question, old man. Who are you?"

"Parker Stone."

Fury bubbled within her as she turned her back to Obi-Wan, who she was now close enough to that he could lay his head against her shoulder. "No. Wrong. I said who are you?"

"I AM YOUR FATHER!"

Opal swallowed the knot growing in his throat as she turned around and cradled Ben's face in her hands. Her fingertips gently ghosted over the lines in his face and the trembling muscles of his shoulders and neck. She gripped his chin in between her fingers and lifted weary eyes to meet her own.

She hoped her words were heard through the Force bond they'd created when they were children.

I love you. I love you so much.