CHAPTER FIFTEEN:

"You asked me if I was powerful, so I became a woman incapable of being destroyed. With a heart of stone and eyes of ice, I became the legacy of Opal Harmony Stone."

[PRE REVENGE OF THE SITH]

One of the most entertaining things about being a married Jedi was acting like you and your spouse were just friends. Nothing more, nothing less. So when Opal and Obi Wan returned to Coruscant and headed to the Temple to further Anakin's skill and earn him his Mastership, it was almost like they had never gotten married in the first place.

If words of intimate encouragement could not be said in front of others, Opal signed it to him with her hands. She had learned long ago that Ben was fluent in multiple languages, so learning a new one was rather easy for him. There were almost no Jedi Masters who could read sign language.

When Obi-Wan was called in front of the Jedi Council and given a solo mission to Atricus, it terrified her out of her wits. The last time he'd been on a mission alone was so long ago, and it unnerved her that something could happen to him without her there. ''Master Kenobi," Mace Windu spoke. "You have been selected for a mission to capture information on a Sith Lord who made contact with us."

Obi Wan could sense the nerves creeping up in his wife as she fidgeted behind him. He knew what she was thinking: that this Sith Lord was her missing father. "Was there a recording or did the Sith make direct contact?"

"He made direct contact, which we recorded." Opal's face paled as she turned from the Council to make for the door and leave. "Master Stone, I recommend you watch this too. Your name is mentioned."

The younger woman slowly turned on her heel and held her breath as the holo was enlarged, and she found herself staring at a hooded Sith with eyes disturbingly similar to her father. "I know you are all looking for me." He said darkly. "Especially Opal Stone. The one who just so happened to get married to your fellow Council Member, Obi Wan Kenobi. True or false?"

His unease was replaced with dread as all pairs of eyes in the room turned to regard him and his wife. Opal had bent over and braced her hands against her knees, eyes screwed tightly shut as to keep herself from passing out.

"Now, I have a secret to tell you all. I bet the Council likes secrets, given that secrets are all it's composed of." The Sith leaned in with a sadistic smile on his face. "Your Republic is being run by another Sith. That's why it's corrupt, because you are oblivious to who is running your democracy. I will tell you everything you wish to know if you send Obi Wan Kenobi to Atricus alone. Unless Opal is daring enough to follow."

The recording cut out.

"Now, I want Obi Wan to go to Atricus and discover the identity of this Sith Lord. I believe he should go alone. If all goes wrong, we will send Anakin and Opal as a reconnaissance team. We will discuss the relationship between you two later. Any questions?"

Opal shook her head at Mace Windu's question and fled the room with Obi-Wan right behind her, both unaware of their Padawan lurking in the hall outside. Anakin immediately noticed the tears burning his Masters face and excused himself, catching the blonde woman in his grasps. "Opal, talk to me." He murmured, unaware of Obi Wan standing behind her. "What happened?"

"They know." She seethed. "We've gone this long without anyone questioning the nature of our relationship, Anakin. So tell me.. H-How do they know?!"

His stomach churned as he recalled his conversation with The Chancellor earlier that morning. He's been asked where he'd been, and Anakin had mentioned something about a commitment he and Padmè has on Naboo. He must've put it together. "The-The Chancellor asked me where I had been.." He faltered, unsure of what to say for fear of his masters wrath. Opal had always had a much more difficult time reigning in her anger then Obi-Wan did."I said on Naboo for a union of my two closest friends-"

"Anakin, I suggest you attend to something in the Archives and get out of my sight."

Guilt clouded her brain as Anakin sprinted down the halls of the Temple and out of her sight. Obi Wan pressed a finger to his lips and lead his wife down the hall towards their old quarters, gently pushing her inside and locking the door behind him.