15. The 'Semi' Double Cross

To my relief, both Ivy and Petunia were in the Petunia's chambers, Petunia was sprawled out on the bed, eating something; while Ivy was angrily tugging on the edge of the covers, trying to get her to move off.

"Honestly." She was saying, "In reality, you should be doing this yourself. I can't be constantly cleaning up your messes, I'm not your slave. What on earth would mother say if she saw you like this?" Rolling her eyes, Petunia retorted stubbornly, "Well, Mother's not here, is she? And anyhow, you're not inclined to make my bed, I actually prefer it messy."

It was while saying this that she happened to look up and see me standing awkwardly in the doorway. "Violet!" She squeals excitedly, like a small child. In an instant, she springs off the bed and lunges herself at me. "We were just having our afternoon tea! On the bed!!!"

Ivy rolled her eyes. "And that behaviour should not be encouraged. Father would flip his lid if he saw the mess you've made." Petunia stuck out her tongue. "Well father thinks I'm charming, so ha."

My eyes widen. "What exactly are you eating?" "Crumb machines." Is Ivy's response, but Petunia angrily corrects her. "They're like these cookies, but they're in my favourite colour-" "DON'T EAT THEM!" I panic, I frantically hunt for them.

Ivy turns to me, frowning. "What do you mean Violet? Is everything alright?" I shake my head. "No, no. It's not. Did you eat the cookies yet?" Biting her lip, Ivy shakes her head. "Petunia had like eight, and I haven't had any, I don't eat animal products."

I begin waving my hands frantically. "No no no! That's bad! Oh no, it's really bad." Ivy's eyes widen now. "Oh no, they're poisoned, aren't they?" I shake my head. "No, not exactly, but they... uh..."

Frowning as an idea strikes me, I turn to Petunia. "Pet! What's the square root of pi?" She looks at me as if I just spoke to her in Spanish. "Pies don't have...roots?" Ivy rolls her eyes. "Not that kind of pie you idiot, the one you use in maths!"

However, Petunia puts her head in her hands. "Noooo!" She wails. "I hate algebra." Sighing, I turn to Ivy. "Look. You know Petunia better than anyone, ask her something that she'll lie about when answering."

Ivy nods to me, before turning back her. "Hey Petunia, is that my quill over there?" She points to a sad looking one on the floor. She turns to look at it, before turning back to her, frowning. "No!" She cries out at first, before a sour, pained expression overcomes her. "I mean....yes. But I only borrowed it." She winces once more. "Actually, no... I stole it. And I broke the nib."

She's screwing up her face now, she's fighting to stop talking. "And I..." Another wince. "Hid it. So you... wouldn't find it." Ivy turns white before turning back to me. "Oh my. They're laced with a truth serum, aren't they?"

I nod sorrowfully. "But why? Is it some prank?" I shake my head once more. "No, not so innocent. It's a plot. By..." She cuts me off. "By your friend?" I bow my head regretfully. "Yes. And I need your help."

~*~

"So wait." Was Eugene's response. "Hold up. Your hair striped friend is behind this? All of this?" Scowling, I retort ,"It's not as bad as it sounds. I understand his intentions. He just wants to fix everything."

Ivy places her hand on my shoulder, soothing me. "Don't worry Violet, I'm sure that both of you had good intentions." Petunia, however, gives Eugene a dirty look. "And by the way, fancy hair, it's incredibly discriminatory that despite both Varian and Violet having a blue streak in their hair, you give him the Hair Striped nickname. Show some respect!"

Cassandra stares at Petunia as if she's some annoying insect. "Who brought her along?" Petunia squints intently at Cassandra's face in response. "Wow. Your nose is HUGE."