37. Petunia's Advice

The moment after the 'cannonball' is released, everyone starts to bolt. Petunia is surprisingly fast, and is already beginning to overtake me, despite her attempts to stay at my level. We're obviously not going to run the entire way. To my surprise however, it's Ivy who's in the lead, with no sign at all of Mrs Crowley. She's probably tottelling behind everyone else.

I turn to Petunia in shock, "How is she so fast?" She shrugs, the wind blowing her hair from her face. "She's very good with anything health and exercise related. She's more flexible than she is fast, though."

We run for several minutes, everyone else has gone in different directions by now; but my energy is slipping fast. "Where exactly are we going?" I wheeze, face turning red." To the river." She calls back, seemingly not tired at all. "There's a shed nearby. And that's how where going to get there." Confused by how a shed would help us get to the treasure, I have no choice but to exhaustedly chase after her.

Finally, finally, the river comes into view, a tiny picture esc shed is next to it, it's much smaller than I'd imagined. You could store your gardening tools there at the most.

Gasping, I collapse into the cool grass; the scratchiness of the green blades rubbing against my skin, as my eyes slowly slid closed. Laughing, Petunia stared down at my resting figure. "You okay there, Asaki?" Moaning, I cover my eyes with my forearm, trying to block out any light that is seeping through the forested canopy.

"Five more minutes...." I moan, at which she laughs once more. "Don't we have a race to win?" I retort back, "Aren't you a princess that has as much treasure as she desires?" At my words, Petunia slumps into the grass beside me. "Not if you're a spare." Frowning, I move into a sitting position, confused. "What do you mean?"

Petunia shrugs. "I'm the second born, meaning I have no claim to the throne. Once my sister is coronated as Queen and finds a husband, I'm on my own. Turfed out. Have to make my own way in the world." I'm shocked. "So your family just kicks you out?"

She shakes her head. "No, just the new queen. Because the rules of the monarchy; once she gets coronated, she must get married, and once she gets married, she has to have heirs; and to make room for the new royal family, the other siblings have to move out. And judging by how fast Rapunzel and Eugene's relationship is progressing, my days are numbered."

"But surely Rapunzel wouldn't want to turf you out because she's having a baby, right? It just doesn't seem like her." Petunia shrugs. "Knowing her, she'd want me to stay on and babysit; but I was fed up with babies when my cousins were born. I'd appreciate her offer, as it kind of means that I'll be leaching off them, but I think that I'd prefer to make my own life up. Ruling over a kingdom is stressful anyhow. I get it easy."

Yet with a start, she shakes her purple hair. "Anyhow, I need to ask you something." I frown, "What is it?" "I want to know when you're going to tell that poor boy the truth." I blanche in confusion. "Poor boy.....what on earth do you mean?"

She rises to her feet, before extending her hand for me to take. "I may not be the smartest person, but I know enough about body language to know that you're crushing hard." I groan as she hoists me to my feet. "Oh no. Is it that obvious??" Petunia laughs. "Anyone could see by just how often you two flirt with each-other."

"We do not flirt! Talking is not flirting!" "No, but elbowing each-other and giggling, like you two were doing at the starting line.....that's called flirting." She sees my expression, and holds up in hands in a surrender like motion. "Not that I'm judging! It's actually kind of adorable." That was not a good sign. "But it's really frustrating for everyone that you're not telling him how you feel. You two have great chemistry, and you're just wasting it!"