76. A Bad Feeling

A flat ended rock shot out of the ground, sending the moss covered log flying, before another similarly blunted rock sprouted out of the rock and pinned the piece of wood to the ground, imprisoning it. Not as if it were going to attempt to break free though, it was an inanimate object. I then moved back to face Varian, grinning broadly. "Do you think that this is a more peaceful approach??"

Placing the vial containing the glowing compound back into the bag, Varian moved over to me and inspected my display, before nodding. "That's good, disarming and immobilising is the best approach, I think. Nobody needs to get hurt." I flexed my hands, at which the rocks lowered into the ground, and then turned to him, smiling. "You think so??"

I then drew my attention over to the alchemy related items, that were sitting upon the table and moved over to them. "Let me help you." I exclaimed as I did so, stacking the items into the bag, as Varian began to do the same also. The glass and metal tinkled and clanked together respectively as we delicately placed them into the bag, the flasks filled with chemicals warm in my hands as I slid them into the backpack as carefully as possible. "Are you sure that you don't want this back??" Varian's question cut through the silence without warning, as I raised my head to see what he was holding out to me.

My necklace was coiled up in his hand, the chain completely free of twists or tangles, implying that he had most likely ensured that it didn't tangle, which immediately made my heart swell with gratitude. However, I waved him off and gently pushed his hand away. "No, it's my guarantee to you. However, you can give it back once this is all over." He hesitated at this, still holding out the piece of jewellery. "It doesn't feel right to have it, I'm not sure if-"

"Varian."

He looked up at me, eyes wide, as I reached across and squeezed his hand, closing it and containing my necklace. "Everything's going to be okay, alright?" He still remained sceptic. "You didn't seem so sure of that earlier. You said that-" I nodded my head in agreement. "I know, I know, but......we need to stay hopeful, right?" Petunia's words from earlier echoed back to me like a friendly reminder. He sighed now, but it wasn't exactly an upset one, as he reached across and tucked a strand of ebony behind my ear. "Okay." Varian finally whispered, and without warning I gave into my instincts, leaned forward and kissed him.

It was fleeting, short-lived one, most likely because of the fear that someone would stumble upon us into the clearing, yet even in that brief moment, it felt as equally as special as the previous two were, even if it were momentary and more restrained than they were. Less than an instant later, we parted, and I blushed apologetically, brushing another lock of hair out of my face as I did so. "I'm sorry, I should have asked first." Varian waved me off, still gripping my hand tightly. "No, it's okay. I didn't mind."

Hesitating at this response, I forced myself to look back up into his cornflower blue eyes, filled with so much affection and admiration to the point that it almost made me emotional. Still blushing furiously, I repeated, "Still, I shouldn't have done so without warning. It was inconsiderate. I'll try to ask next time." Varian faltered at this, almost looking surprised, before he smiled and ruffled my hair, all the while squeezing my hand three times once more. "You're very strange, Miss Asaki." I faked an insulted expression, yet I couldn't help the small smile beginning to stretch across my face. "Is that a good thing, or a bad thing??"

"It's one of the things that I like the most about you." He countered, at which I took the opportunity to tease back with, "And here I thought that you were only with me for my looks." More laughter ensued from the two of us, until suddenly the now all too familiar sight of another black rock spurted out of the ground, prompting me to frantically jump as far backwards as I could, praying that it was my doing, and not Cassandra's.......