22. A Perfect Plan With Flaws

I feel like the living dead arising from the grave, as I strain my right arm around the bookcase, trying to loop my arm around the shelf as some form of an anchor. It aches nonetheless though, as I dig my fingernails on my left hand into the cracks in the floor, as a way to hoist my body as far away from the compound restraining me.

Although the goop had its limits however, the elasticity in it is surprisingly strong; and with a little more easing, it gives much more than I'd expected it to. As I grapple with the edge of the bookcase, I begin to strain my left arm also to mimic the same as my right.

However, the compound is beginning to reach its limit. It's beginning to strain and pull around my ankles, the skin feels stretched and painful; and I grit my teeth as a means to combat the pain. Just keep stretching, just keep stretching. I mentally chant, as I try to hook my left around the shelf, twisting and sprawling around on the floor, all while Ruddiger watches on with seeming amusement.

Finally, the goop begins to shift slightly. It doesn't release me, obviously; yet it gives me just enough range to twist my body slightly, and hook my left arm around the side of the bookcase. YES!!!!! I silently scream; and now, tangled up in this bizarre position, I take several minutes to regain my breath, gasping for air. My ankles throb from the pressure, yet I know that I've certainly experienced worse, I've even broken ribs. I'll be fine.

I can hear Varian wheeling out the drill, commenting, "Yeah, I'll spare you all the details about SunDrop and darkness....bla bla bla... and get to the good stuff." He walks over to one of the rocks and taps it. "Unbreakable, unbreakable." He gestures to Rapunzel's hair. "To put it plainly, with the assistance from my drill, Rapunzel's hair should be able to shatter the amber, and free my father."

From behind the bookcase, I can hear Frederic question, "What do you mean, should?" Varian shrugs. "Eh, there's the possibility that the amber may shatter Rapunzel.....I mean the properties are-"

I hear a sword being drawn. "Absolutely not!" "It's not your choice, dad." I hear Rapunzel whisper. Varian grins. "She's right, dad. Oh, and since we're kind of on a time crunch here, I'm going to need to speed things along." Varian's words seize my attention, as I rip my gaze away from Ruddiger, and over to him, as he carries a familiar looking vial over to Queen Arianna, and dribbles some upon the rock inches from Arianna's foot.

It's the same thing solution that.....

"No." I cry in horror, and strain at the compound once more, as if I could somehow break free and rescue her.

The amber, upon making contact with the rock, begins to sprout around the queen, who frantically shifts away from them, her face a mask of fear. Rapunzel mimics my horror, gasping, "Varian, stop!" He however, grins. "Well. Shall we get started?"

Great, now I've got a ticking time bomb on my hands. Straining even more now, I whisper sharply, "RUDDIGER!" His head immediately snaps towards me. Once again, saved by the raccoon.

Still gripping onto shelf, I begin to snap my fingers, all while rising my foot so he can see my dilemma. I just have to hope that he knows what I mean. "Please." I whisper, "I'm not here to hurt Varian in the slightest, you know this. Please." His head tilts once more. I wiggle my foot furiously. "I need the neutralising particle, please."  Yet I am simply met with another blank expression.

Yet, I already am too late.

He's turned the drill on. The sound is deafening, and if gripping onto the shelf didn't depend on it, I'd cover my ears. Rapunzel, who's hair is wrapped around the drill base, which is already plunging into the amber; shrieks in pain, as her hands slam upon her scalp. I too wince. I can imagine her pain. Yet as my eyes turn to the amber, my jaw drops.