42. Another Secret Bestowed

"Violet! May I speak with you please?" Quirin calls down the stairs. I turn frantically to Varian, who simply shrugs. I sigh, place the wrench back onto the table, and cautiously trek upstairs. He's going to evict me. Or what if he found out that I kissed Varian, and was furious at me?

As I finally approach the top step, I can see Quirin's towering silhouette looming over the stairs. My heart is pounding like a frightened rabbit in my chest, as I anxiously give him the sweetest smile that I can manage. "Hi! What was it that you wanted to...." I swallowed against my will. "Tell me?"

Silently, he gestures for me to follow, and then exits the room. I trail after him like a minuscule shadow, barely able to conceal my trembles of fear. Finally, he enters the living room, and I hastily follow.

Upon entering, he sits in one of chairs, before beckoning for me to do the same. I nervously sink into the cushion, the sense of dread within me threatening to swallow my body completely. However, his expression does not seem to be one of somebody preparing to kick me out of their home; rather one of concern.

He seems slightly uneasy, I must too, I cannot stop wringing my hands within my lap. The silent tension seems to last forever, each second more agonising than the last.

When he finally speaks, his words are nothing like I imagined that they would be. "Your parents' death took me completely off guard. I can't imagine what it must have been like for you." Unsure where this conversation is going, I remain silent.

He hesitates again, before he continues. "What you and Varian went through, I've been side by side with trained warriors who wouldn't handle it. I'm proud of you both. I know that I've been........distant........for the past years, however, you have always been somewhat like a daughter to me." That sentiment takes me completely off guard. What??

The tone suddenly changes, becomes more lowered and silent. "You- you mustn't tell Varian this." I frown, suddenly, confused. He continues. "I know that if he finds out, he just become upset. He's been through enough. Well, you both have; but he won't take it as well as you."

He's going to kick me out. Quirin sighs once more. "I guess Varian's shocked. That I wasn't mad at him when I was freed for the amber. I understand why he'd want to keep the following circumstances hidden from my knowledge."

Confused, I question "What do you mean by following circumstances?" He sighs, however not in an annoyed way. He then, lowering his voice even more whispers "I know what happened with the Automatons." My blood froze to ice. He was most definitely going to kick me out now. Why wouldn't he? After now knowing the horrible things that both of us had done.

"H....how did you know?" My voice is trembling and rising slightly. He sighs once more. "That's what I wanted to tell you. I could see it happening." Now, I frown again. "I'm sorry? I don't know what you mean." "I wasn't in a comatised state when I was in the amber, I was more paralysed. I could see and hear everything that happened, but I couldn't move, or speak."

I think I too am paralysed now. "Sir, I am-" My voice falters. I don't know what to say. How can you say, 'oh, I'm sorry for assisting your son in committing treason, assault and attempted murder; please don't kick me out of your house!' My heart pounds loudly.

Breathe. I remind myself, and cautiously whisper, "I am so sorry. I don't think either of us were in the right mindset during that time. But it's not Varian's fault. It's... it's mine. I should have been there for him. And I think that if I was, none of this mess would have ever-"

"Violet!" His voice is calming and reassuring, not how I imagined his tone would be. "Violet. I'm not here to punish you. I am here to thank you." I blink. "Thank me? But why?" He looks to be on the verge of laughter. "Why would I not? All those months ago, when I was being first encased by the amber, and you came into the room, I told you to find Varian."