43. A Familiar Looking Woman

The rain lashes furiously against the windows, as I rest my hand against the cool, rain streaked glass; staring intently out into the grey, gloomy distance.

"Perfect." I whisper to myself, a broad smile spreading across my face.

Pulling away from the window, I walk over to the wardrobe, which I yank open, I begin hunting through it for several minutes, until finally I locate the article of clothing that I was searching for; my brown cloak. Wrapping the warm, soft material around my shoulders, I head to the door leading out of my bedroom.

Yang meows loudly from his basket in the corner, and bounds up to my side, rubbing his head affectionately against my ankles. Sighing slightly, I kneel down by his side and tousle his ears for several minutes, before scooping him up in a heavy fluffy bundle, and depositing him back into the basket. "Stay." I instruct, before heading back over to the door and turning the handle open.

As I exit my room, I pull the hood of the cloak over my head, as I edge down the the staircase, heading towards the front door. The metal door knob feels cold against my palm, and I shudder slightly. Cautious now, I twist the handle as silently as I could possibly manage, it creaks slightly, yet not enough to draw immediate attention. Adjusting the cloak around my shoulders, I take a deep breath, before I step out into the rain.

It was nowhere near as heavy a rainfall as I'd expected, and I was almost disappointed by this. I actually liked rainstorms. No matter, I had better things to worry about. I cautiously avoid stepping in any puddles, grimacing at how impractical my flats were. Maybe I should get myself a pair of boots.

I'd decided to take the long way to the woods; this way was a narrow path that cut behind the houses. It was the best direction, I didn't really want anyone to see me. This was private, after all. As I enter under the canopy of the trees, the rain immediately ceases, and I shake myself slightly to get the dewdrops off me.

Dirt and twigs rustle and snap under my shoes, as I walk through the forest. Soon, the noise of trickling water from the creek becomes audible. As I approach the body of water, I crouch down beside it, lower the hood of my cloak; and dip my hands in freezing water, splash some upon my face.

The liquid is icy, I can't help but shudder and hug myself tightly, as gooseflesh tickles my arms and chest. Once this feeling passes, I arise back to my feet and walk downstream slightly; until an area of the creak where a island of dirt emerges at one area in the middle of the water comes into view. I tentatively stretch my foot across, and rest it upon the surface, stumbling forwards onto it.

After I successfully land upon this piece of earth, I then leap onto the embankment, landing expertly on the other side. I topple slightly as this happens, yet luckily I do not fall backwards into the water. Now that would be stupid. Pleased with myself for completing this miniscule feat, I continue to head through the thick bushland, my feet occasionally catching on tree roots and causing me to stumble.

Several birds are on the forest floor, but they immediately scatter once they see me. Rain leaks from several gaps into the trees above, and I side step to avoid this, raising the hood back onto my head in case some lands on my head. That would certainly not be pleasant.

As I continue to navigate my surroundings, the clearing finally comes into view. I breathe a delighted sigh of relief, and quicken my pace slightly. It's only as I approach the clearing, that I realise that the rain has stopped. Yet I still keep the hood of my cloak on, just as a precaution.

Frowning now, I stand into a prepared stance, and thrust my hand forward once more, and think of Andrew and his hideous smirk once more. The rocks sprout out of the ground on command, at which I lower my hand, grinning, as I walk up to it; my fingers crossed as I kneel down beside it.........